Help

Substitute Teachers

A question about principals....

>

RadSub19

A question about principals....
Old 11-23-2009, 04:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

If you haven't already done so....read my post I made earlier. ugh!

I seem to always have major issues at this particular middle school I sub at. And I have complained on PT about how subs are treated at this middle school.

My BF keeps telling me that I should bring up my complaints to the Principal and the Assistant Principal. They are both new. They probably have no idea about how subs are treated.

I don't want to be known as a complainer. I would like to sub every day and would gladly do it at the middle school if the environment was more pleasant. I've been a sub in this district for 3 years. I've worked my a$$ off trying to be a good sub and I am still treated like nobody in the middle school. I'm not looking to get a full time teaching job anymore, but I'd like to see some improvement!

Do you think it would be right for me to bring up my complaints/concerns/ideas to the Princ/AP?

RadSub19 is offline   Reply With Quote

gottaread

Old 11-23-2009, 04:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You will probably get lots of replies to this one. Unless you have already developed a relationship with the Ps/APs, I would keep quiet. IF you have a relationship with them and they a) know your name b) clearly know your work, then sure, go ahead. Otherwise...I'd keep quiet if you want to continue working in that school.

Now...my husband just suggested that you could write an anonymous letter and sent it off to each of them. Just an FYI.... and conclude the letter saying you've chosen not to reveal your name as you would like to continue working in their school, but are afraid that your comments would not be welcomed!

So...there you have two thoughts already! Good luck and let us know what you decide to do and how it goes!
gottaread is offline   Reply With Quote

yoohoo

Old 11-23-2009, 05:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

hellOOOooo, from a fellow PT'er.... I've read your posts about how you're being treated by others at the MS...

1. how well do you know the AP and P?
2. do yo have any other sub you can talk to 1st?
3. if you do complain--anonymously or otherwise just make sure you don't get the short end of the stick (which I think will happen if YOU DO complain)
4. this has already happened to me---I made a series of complaints to the AP and P about my daughter's situation(with the teachers she has) at a MS that I sub at and am now fighting to get back in...they got me on some technicality (which I KNOW FOR SURE) wouldn't have happened if I DIDN"T make the AP's life H#LL
yoohoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Rerun

Old 11-24-2009, 09:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Keep your thoughts and feelings to yourself. You're a Sub. nothing more and nothing less. While greatly valued, Subs are part of the woodwork. You can and will be replaced and nobody will care. Most schools only want and need a hearbeat. You cause trouble and you are out. Simple as that.
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote

Mysterywoman

Keep quiet
Old 11-24-2009, 10:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Unless it's something that endangers students, I would keep quiet. Keep smiling, do your job, and go home.

I subbed for a while. At first, I wondered why no one appreciated me. Then I realized what the PP said, you are invisible. Follow the plans, keep order, make sure the kids don't kill each other, and let the rest go.

I was always gratified when the other teachers on the grade level would include me in ordering lunch, but most of the time, they just ignored me.

Another caveat - don't exceed the plans. The other day my partner mentioned that a veteran sub taught her kids long division so there's no remainder - in other words, decimals. Trouble is, she hasn't gotten that far, and they were totally confused.

I wouldn't bother with an anonymous letter. If I were the principal, and I got an anonymous letter, I would toss it. If I don't know who sent it, how can it be verified?

Mysterywoman is offline   Reply With Quote

Augustus

Old 11-24-2009, 04:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Rerun says it all for me. If you can, try to encourage another sub to say something. Get your point across and get rid of some competition for jobs. Kill two birds with one stone, that sorta thing. boy, that isn't nice is it?
Augustus is offline   Reply With Quote