Help

Substitute Teachers

Stupid decisions made by staff

>

Kataqueens

Stupid decisions made by staff
Old 11-25-2009, 07:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

During 8th period two classes had a holiday party in the room that I shared with the CTT teacher; typical junk food fare of Doritos, pretzels, chips and donuts. Instead of buying utensils, the staff's concerns were whether or not there was enough food for 50+ students, which resulted in said 50+ students sticking their hands in and out of all of the different bags of food.

The teachers who assisted joked that they were the only ones allowed to cut the line for food, and several asked me why I wasn't eating anything. Ummm....ya think? Even if we weren't in the middle of flu season and an H1N1 scare, I still find the idea of everyone's hand touching the food appalling. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the students and staff get sick over Thanksgiving!

Kataqueens is offline   Reply With Quote

yoohoo

Old 11-26-2009, 06:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

you are sooo baddd...and so right...I would have the food dumped out into a bowl or something (like little serving bowls to scoop the food)

EEEYUCK!!!!
yoohoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Hopejoy

Hopejoy

Teachers are so stupid...
Old 11-27-2009, 08:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

So, why is it that they're the ones with all full time jobs???

Kataqueens

What is that supposed to mean?
Old 11-27-2009, 11:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Not sure if that was meant to be a joke or a stab at substitutes, but all I said was how irresponsible SOME teachers can be with regards to handling food during the flu season.

I never said teachers were stupid; in fact I would have a full time job if it wasn't for the economy and hiring freeze. So if this was intended to demean those of us who are substituting , it fell flat.
Kataqueens is offline   Reply With Quote

Augustus

Old 11-27-2009, 03:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

So, why is it that they're the ones with all full time jobs????"

You mean the ones with the "full time jobs" that only work six months out of the year, but have the nice government health plans, discounts at all kinds of businesses, and work in an industry that sees its clientele perform worse each year. Yes, that is a good question.

Augustus is offline   Reply With Quote

collteach

Old 11-29-2009, 04:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Augustus...Where do you sub? In our area, teachers work for 10 months, and the 2 months of summer "vacation" are filled with UNPAID planning and other activities to prep for the following year. Most of my teacher friends are pursuing graduate degrees (that we pay for completely on our own), and we all had a full-time course load this past summer. Our gov't health plan is terrible with costs SKYROCKETING for teachers who use it (I did not have to use that insurance, thankfully, because my husband gets "free" insurance for us because he is in the military). And I honestly think that the "clientele" is performing worse each year due to the horrible demands on teachers' instructional AND personal time. In the first 9 weeks of the school year, I lost about 5 days of instruction (out of 45) to assessments that honestly could have been done mid-year, or not at all.

Heck, I resigned from my teaching position, and my last day was Nov. 24th, yet I am still working on grades for the teacher who is taking over because there was NO TIME with everything else to get it all done before the last day.
collteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Augustus

Old 11-30-2009, 05:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

The teachers here have a 180-183 day contract. They do come in during the summer, but usually it is just for the two weeks before school. I know some of them well and when I drop by they are doing their share of strolling around with coffee cups in hand. Not always as sometimes they actually have to do something like heavy lifting. My friend was required to attend a ten day math seminar for which he was not paid. He did get more credentials for which he received more money, but he will be the first to tell you it did not lead to students doing better in math. He views it as a "game". As do I. I can also find them at the school gym on weekends or in the summer. They use the gym for basketball and lift in the weight room and then shower in the locker rooms. Two women I know received big discounts for a cruise. I have seen groups go to Europe on good terms. There are other groups that can acquire these benefits, teachers are certainly not the only ones.
I don't think teachers should complain about the cost of their health care, not if they have a plan that provides chiropractic, two new eyeglasses a year and full dental. Everyone's health care is going up. Did I mention that I haven't had a raise subbing in over ten years now?
"And I honestly think that the "clientele" is performing worse each year due to the horrible demands on teachers' instructional AND personal time." that I will give you. And the big reason for the students doing worse rests with the parents and students themselves. Most all teachers I know will arrive early or stay late if they have a serious student who will come in for extra help. I think that there are entirely too many meetings and seminars and conferences and BS. But you know, if you don't have those meetings and seminars, then you don't need the people who give them. And we can't have that now can we? They need jobs, too.
Augustus is offline   Reply With Quote