Kids were great. The adults, not so much. - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Substitute Teachers

Kids were great. The adults, not so much.

>

grav_def

Kids were great. The adults, not so much.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Ever worked at a school like that? I honestly can't figure out how it happened. These kids were, across the board, polite and respectful. The worst thing I had to deal with all day were some wiggly kindergarteners (imagine that!). And I was subbing for the counselor, spending half an hour each in several different classrooms, so I got to meet a pretty good chunk of the school population. I've been to this school a handful of times before, and it's always like this. You kind of wonder how they do it--the school is in a not-so-fabulous neighborhood, high free & reduced, high ELL, etc., so you'd expect a lot more issues than I've seen.

One thing's for sure, though: Those kids aren't wonderful because of modeling from the adults in the building!! First thing in the morning, I was meeting with the counselor before she left for her inservice or wherever she was going, and a teacher comes in to find out how the counseling lesson is going to work with the assembly that's scheduled for the same time. She doesn't so much as look at me, just turns to the counselor and says, "Is she going to come in before the assembly?" HELLO--I'm right here; thanks for introducing yourself!

On lunch duty, the janitor was rude to me because I told her that a child had spilled a carton of milk all over the floor. I'm sorry; I was under the impression that it was your job to deal with stuff like that.

During my own lunch time, two teachers sat down at the table I was at in the faculty room and proceeded to have a conversation around me. Once or twice I tried to comment, and they interrupted and talked right over me like I wasn't even there.

In my last class of the day, the teacher came back into the room but was meeting with students when it was time to end the lesson. I called over to her, "Mrs. Smith, do we have time to keep working on this or are you ready to take them back now?" She completely ignored me. Then the kids started calling over to her. She ignored them, too. Then, when I finally got her attention (several minutes later), she gave me attitude about running over my time.

And so on. All. day. long. I'm so frustrated...I love the kids at this school, but the grown-ups make me never want to go back!

grav_def is offline   Reply With Quote

thordau4

Old 12-02-2009, 08:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

yup, I've been there - well, not quite as bad as your day, but adults can be so ill-mannered! and then wonder where the kids get it.... I don't know if it's worse than the students or if I just USED TO expect more from adults! But sheesh! I hate it when a teacher comes back while I am still there. It's like they want me to vanish immediately!
And I never try to join the group in the staff lounge. I caught on right away that I am to be not seen and not heard! It's like a caste system and I'm one of the untouchables! Oh well, it keeps me from saying something un-PC and getting myself in trouble!
thordau4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Smiling Sub

Yes, I've been there :(
Old 12-03-2009, 07:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Sorry, you had a bad day Most of the time, it is the adults that make or break my day! I can handle the students who are rude or misbehaving but the adults??? come on!

There is one school I won't sub at because the staff is rude! The kids are nice but I can't handle the rude staff. I have gone there twice and both times I felt like I was a sub-human. The first time, I came home crying because my day was horrible. I gave it a second chance a few months later and while I didn't come home crying, I decided I would never go back there again! I 'd rather take a day without pay! I spend those days looking for jobs on AESOP, reading, and doing housework.

On the flip side, there are some schools where the staff goes out of their way to make you feel welcome, even in the lunchroom I always jump at those schools on AESOP even if it is just a half day because I feel like I am appreciated and welcomed

I am not going to bother subbing in a school where I would not want to work permanently. It's not worth my time or effort.

Hope the rest of your week goes smoothly
Smiling Sub is offline   Reply With Quote

yoohoo

Old 12-03-2009, 02:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

you're better off without them!!!! It's soo not worth your time to be treated like that around others....like the last poster commented "we are not to be heard or seen" especially in the cafeteria lounge.

This has happened on quite a few occasions to the point that I will literally drive with my car (I don't live too far from my job) and go home and tidy up a bit.

Who needs this kind of crass treatment??!!! These are teachers that probably haven't subbed or did sub but for a short period of time that they don't realize how much we do and hard it is to go into a class where you don't have a(n) established relationship.

then the school wonders why they're always short of subs or why subs are hard to come by (I know of a teacher that is person non grata with the subs---she is just plain DISGUTINGLY HORRIBLE TOWARDS US
yoohoo is offline   Reply With Quote

SadieGrace

I'm so sorry...and I wasn't even there...
Old 12-06-2009, 06:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I've taught in 4 different schools and have never seen subs treated like that. Typically, the teachers are helping any way they can. Maybe it's the part of the country I live in? It's a bit rural. But when I subbed in a bigger city that didn't happen either and I subbed in several schools.

It makes me glad I go out of my way to make sure the people who sub for me have everything they need for their day and that I make contact with the subs around me to ensure their day is going smoothly.

Again, I'm so sorry that a school would make you feel that way. It makes the rest of us look bad.

SadieGrace is offline   Reply With Quote