Help

Substitute Teachers

holy baloney!

>

ciounoi

holy baloney!
Old 12-07-2009, 04:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I posted a few weeks back about the scarcity of jobs. I figured it was because of Thanksgiving, but now I am not so sure. Literally as soon as a job shows up, it is GONE like the wind. Now I get immediate notification and really see the thing and point and click, and I STILL miss it. It is INSANE.

Could it just be the holiday season? Or are subs really this desperate for jobs?

ciounoi is offline   Reply With Quote

musicteach7

musicteach7

I see the same thing
Old 12-07-2009, 04:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The district I work in is the same way. I'm on a long term assignment right now, but worried about how work will be when I'm done with it in spring.

MikeRocode

The economy
Old 12-07-2009, 05:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

"...Could it just be the holiday season? Or are subs really this desperate for jobs?"

I read an article that said seasonal and part-time jobs are filling with the thousands of over-qualified layoff victims. Managers, engineers, professional designers are taking anything they can get just to survive.

Kinda puts the argument that "Americans aren't willing to do low paying jobs" to rest doesn't it. I'll bet that the subbing isn't an exception that rule.
MikeRocode is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

Lots more subs
Old 12-07-2009, 05:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My district had so many new subs signing up last year that they stopped taking any new applications after established subs started complaining.

Lots of people with degrees are looking for work and willing to accept sub pay--$85/day beats a poke in the eye.

It used to be difficult to find subs for all the teachers and ancillary were pulled to cover classes, now jobs disappear in a flash.

If/as/when the economy gets going and people are hiring, I'm sure there will be a shortage of substitutes again.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

yoohoo

Old 12-07-2009, 08:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I know what you mean...as soon as I saw a job posted last night---I went to click it and BAM!!! gone....mannn, I've never seen a job get swooped so fast!!!

got's to be quicker with the clicker

yoohoo is offline   Reply With Quote
subczy

subczy

I am just prayin'
Old 12-07-2009, 08:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

the teachers remember i am a sub. I am not anything else. I am not trying to get hired as a reg. teacher, I am not gonna quit anytime soon, I AM a sub. Train me and I"ll work hard as I have been doing. Stick w/ me and I"ll pay off. Well that's what I am hoping. Mainly b/c that is all I got. So many of our subs are teachign students or ones looking to get hired. This week has been busy but next week there is nothing b/c it is right before break. I am afraid I'll hav eot take the 5am phone call type jobs or nothing...sigh.

ciounoi

Old 12-08-2009, 03:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

add to that... our district just let a lot of of people go, who are all now subbing for the district. but they've been gone all this year, and i've only noticed it really picking up since last month or so...
ciounoi is offline   Reply With Quote

Smiling Sub

Same here!
Old 12-08-2009, 10:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I missed two jobs today because someone else clicked just a bit faster than I did This is miserable. I hope things pick up soon
Smiling Sub is offline   Reply With Quote

lovetosub

I take heart in the fact that
Old 12-08-2009, 04:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

being a sub, a good sub, is difficult work. Very few people are cut out for this kind of career. The secretaries at the schools in which I work have complained about the "quality" of the subs coming into the schools. And while it feels like assignments are few and far between, I believe that within a month or two, even those "desperate" enough to take a low paying job will figure it's not worth even that.

This is hard work, my fellow substitute teachers, and not everyone can handle it. We are a rare breed.

Take heart in the fact that while we're experiencing a low in assignments, my hope is that work will pick up again when the others figure out that this is not for them.
lovetosub is offline   Reply With Quote