Help

Substitute Teachers

Help please hurry!!

>

rcano

Help please hurry!!
Old 10-01-2009, 07:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a sub and I signed on to do a long term of 10 days. I came home early today cause of food poisoning. The students were horrible i mean I have had bad kids but nothing as bad as this. I wanna cancel and i don't know if I should.
what do you think?

rcano is offline   Reply With Quote

RadSub19

my thoughts...
Old 10-01-2009, 07:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'd try one more day. What grade is it? Any specific problems? I've subbed in really horrid classes before and dreaded going back... if you talk to/email to the regular teacher they might be able to help you out.
RadSub19 is offline   Reply With Quote

rcano

3rd grade
Old 10-01-2009, 07:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

they are looking for a teacher for that class because the teacher resigned because of how bad they are. I feel bad but I practically lost my voice trying to talk over them.
rcano is offline   Reply With Quote

Bertie

badly behaved class
Old 10-01-2009, 08:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I agree with PP. I'd try one or two more days. I'd like the challenge, and would treat it like the first day of school, starting with a class meeting about expected behaviors, consequences, fun to look forward to, etc. I'd move the desks into rows and use the whole room to separate them if necessary, but I'd plan something fun right away. You don't say what grade group, but you could something that might work like a fun computer project, picnic, free choice or board games at days end. Find one of the ringleaders and talk to him individually , making your boundaries clear and send him to admin the minute he steps over to send a message to the rest of the class. Enlist the help of other teachers and admin, to send individual kids to as needed so you are down to the core group who want a good experience. Clearly no one expects you to perform miracles but I'd take a few days to find the ones who want to be there and at least give them a better experience. For two days I'd try to make that classroom the most wonderful place to be. And if I couldn't make a difference after trying my best I'd leave. head high. Your sub pay doesn't cover a war zone.
Bertie is offline   Reply With Quote

RadSub19

oh 3rd grade!!!...
Old 10-01-2009, 08:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I subbed in a horrid 3rd grade...probably the worst class I ever subbed in! I had a good and easy to use discipline system that I used with the 3rd graders!
Private message me for the details if you want to try it!!!!

RadSub19 is offline   Reply With Quote

kjuda

Old 10-01-2009, 02:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

oh, please share!! I work with 3rd grade a lot and would love to try your system.
kjuda is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachK-6

I agree
Old 10-02-2009, 03:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I agree with the PP. I would not give up just yet. You might want to try a new reward/consequence system. Start fresh with your own rules/procedures etc. You can implement rewards for good behavior. I would start by dishing out compliments and goodies just to get them in the groove and then taper off as they get used to it.

I would also make sure to follow through on your consequences so that they know you mean business. I have a new management plan that I am going to try this year. I will hold a raffle. When I catch a kid being good, doing something nice, or really on the ball I will hand out raffle tickets. The kids will put their name on it and put it in a box for a chance to win a prize. I will do 2 drawings: one before lunch and one at the end of the day.

Maybe something like this will motivate your kids into better behavior. If you are in an area where there are many low income kids it could make a huge difference. I know there are many people that don't believe in dishing out rewards for expected behavior but I think in your case you need to try something that will really motivate them.

I also think that if you do an awesome job with these kids you may be asked to stay longer than 10 days and it could lead to a permanent position. You never know

Stay positive and give it your best. If it does not work out then at least you can say that you did all you can do and be happy with that.

Good Luck
TeachK-6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Augustus

Old 10-04-2009, 06:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

rcano, if you want to cancel then I think you should. I think you know it isn't worth it to you. I think it is easy for others here to say try one more day, but years ago I had a fourth grade class for several days and it was just miserable. This job doesn't pay enough for it to affect your outlook on life or possibly even your health. Don't worry about what the administration will think, heck their real teacher left. Why would anyone think that a sub is going to be more successful? And as far as you doing a great job and it leading to a full time job; well, I have been doing this for about fifteen years now and I have seen subs do great jobs in such situations and I can't say I have seen one instance of where it led to a permanent position. To the schools you are a sub, and they go through subs right and left. There as never been much loyalty or consideration that I have ever seen.
Now, if it is a challenge you want then I can understand that. I do that in middle and high all the time. It makes life interesting. But I'm more comfortable there.
Augustus is offline   Reply With Quote