Substitute Teachers

When they first enter the room

>

Hermione_S

Hermione_S

When they first enter the room
Old 10-03-2009, 06:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

It's been said over and over again that your best bet is to maintain control from the minute the kids get to the room.

I sub in an inner-city district where behavior problems are larger in number than in other types of schools. In classrooms such as 2nd, 4th, 5th etc.. at the beginning of the day, the kids enter the classroom at random one at a time or in clumps. The come in and some will say to me, "Are you the sub?" or, "Where is Mrs. so and so...", or, "WE HAVE A SUB!!!" or, "Can I go to the bathroom." If the kids are older sometimes they really BUST into the room because they are so active.

Then they generally stand around and talk or get into something they are not supposed to be doing (but how am I to know what they should not be getting into since I don't know what exactly it is they should be doing at this time). They do not sit down and start on an assignment because the regular teacher doesn't have them do this every day.

Because they do not arrive all at once, I find that I either have to say to each person who comes to me, "I will tell you my name once everyone gets here." I find myself repeating this over and over again. Because they do not arrive all at once,

I thought about having them line up outside the door, addressing them and introducing myself there, and then passing out an assignment to each person as they enter the room, but this is never done in the schools I sub in so it would be really off the wall (if it worked I really would not care too much, however).

The teachers' plans in this district do not include what should be going on at this critical time period of when they first enter the room.

Thanks for sharing how you handle this,
Hermione

lv2read

A few thoughts on this
Old 10-03-2009, 08:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Consider writing your name on the board and either a few math problems or writing prompt. That way they have something to do, while you wait for the entire to class to be seated and arrive.

You mentioned that your proposal was "never done in the schools" that you work at; is this because it is not allowed or no one ever thought of doing it this way? If it is allowed, give it a try and see if it works for you.

Good luck
lv2read is offline   Reply With Quote
Hermione_S

Hermione_S

when they enter the room
Old 10-03-2009, 08:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

lv2read's Message:

Consider writing your name on the board and either a few math problems or writing prompt. That way they have something to do, while you wait for the entire to class to be seated and arrive.

I have done the above many times. These kids do not look at the board when they come in. If I wrote my name all over the board, they would not see it because they don't look. I can direct their attention to the board but if there is an assignment they will ask 100 questions as to how to do the assignment. What happens is that I have to direct the attention of more than half the class to the board and even then there is much disruption. I want to be taking roll and getting the lunch count at this time. Simply put I don't want them talking to me until I'm ready to make one speech to give them all the info they need at the time at ONE time instead of repeating it over and over again.

You mentioned that your proposal was "never done in the schools" that you work at; is this because it is not allowed or no one ever thought of doing it this way? If it is allowed, give it a try and see if it works for you.

This is true and I may have to do this.

Thanks,
Hermione

teacher2

I'm no expert
Old 10-03-2009, 12:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Just a thought since I just attended my very first sub orientation with a tougher district last week. The person conducting the orientation suggested placing an assignment on all of the desks before they enter the room. If they don't look at the board they may not look at their desk either but it might be worth a try. I know it can be difficult to get copies made at some of the schools too.

I am watching to see what sage advice you receive in case I need to use it too. Best Wishes.
teacher2 is offline   Reply With Quote

yoohoo

Old 10-03-2009, 01:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

inner city schools are the toughest to deal with...esp. when they see a sub...they will usually "measure" you when you enter the room...I sub in an inner city school and have learned a couple of "body gestures":

1. never stoop (have your back high/stand tall and straight
2. don't let them see that you're annoyed at them coming in loud/rowdy from the hall
3. if it's class time and they're just entering (and you're addressing the class) then just keep going; the other students will tell them who you are
4. if they talk out of turn like "Who are you?" "where's x and x" just look at them and continue (they will make a huge sucking sound or make a crack about how they were just dissed)--remember they're trying to throw you off
5. don't be afraid to tell them that you have expectations (no bad language/don't need to shout across the room/keeping hands and using good listening) and don't be afraid to tell them that you are ok with sending them out to the dean's (get written up)
6. definetly, write your name on the board (so if some wise person shouts out, "What's your name again?!" ---just look at the board.....and point)
7. if you feel, that this particular grade is not worth your time and effort (then by all means---don't accept any more assignments because it's you that suffers in the end)...

A couple of times, on purpose, I don't pick up jobs for specific grades/schools/teachers because after being in the class 2-3x's and I notice the class is just plain difficult---I don't take the class...

yoohoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Hermione_S

Hermione_S

I just don't get it
Old 10-04-2009, 08:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

That's great that your school entity is providing you with a sub orientation. I work for a company that serves subs to districts and they offered absolutely NOTHING in terms of the ins and outs to be as successful as you possibly can. I even called the particular district and asked for guidance for subs - they said, "We don't have anything like that." How bizzare is that - they want people to come into their schools and sub yet they think we know everything? Most of the people who work as subs in this district have a Bachelor's degree but no education degree. These are the people who would most likely need the most help.

Anyway, having the assignment on the desks is something I've tried now and again. What happens next is that they blurt out 100 questions and complaints about the assignment. I may try it again. Or, I may just never sub for a graded classroom again and just limit myself to situations where the dynamic is bearable for me. The thing is that they will behave the way they know they are supposed to only if they are scared of the person in charge. They don't transfer good behavior to being in the presence of another adult. No matter how stellar my kid management skills are, it's going to be that way.

I'm actually starting to believe that in most cases this is going to be a no-win situation. I've even questioned the admin as to why they even bother spending money to bring is a sub when it significantly raises the probability for misbehavior and it doesn't do much at all in keeping the students on track in their studies. It's quite a joke, yet they still insist on bringing in the subs.

Whatev.

Thanks for your reply.
Hermione