Substitute Teachers

Special-needs student info in plans

>

??

??

Special-needs student info in plans
Old 10-06-2009, 12:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I recently moved to a new area. Where I used to sub it was very common for sub plans or classroom procedure information to include specific accomodations, considerations and schedules for students with special needs and/or IEPS.

In my new area, I have yet to see that. From my observation, this new area is much more progressive and inclusive when it comes to special education.

I have no problem dealing with special=needs students or differentiating instruction. It is just nice as sub to get a heads up about special circumstances or issues within the class.

My question: Am I expecting too much to wish that regular education teachers leave information about students with special needs/IEPs? Is this information a legal or privacy issue?

googiebump

Old 10-06-2009, 01:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think the issue is laziness instead of legal or privacy. At least it seems that way at the school I sub at.

Let's see, over the years there's been the hearing impaired girl whose desk sits facing the blackboard, not the teachers desk. If I hadn't known she couldn't hear me I'd have gotten mad when I called her name over and over with no response. Then there's the diabetic girl who needs to check her blood sugar every day but the teacher has no mention of it. If I didn't know she was diabetic and she said "I feel tired can I go to the nurse?" I'd have told her to sit down. The child is also resource, so it never occured to her to tell the sub she's diabetic. Then there's another student who does a self-catheter and has to go to the nurse's office to use the bathroom. No mention of it in the sub plans either. She had subs who never did let her go. The nurse finally realized she hadn't seen her all day. I could go on and on.

Of course none of those have anything to do with special ed. I hate it when they don't think to leave separate work for the special ed kids. They are not able to do what the other kids are doing. There's a resource teacher who tells them not to get a sub for her when she's out and all the teachers her grade level are out too. She says the subs don't need to send those kids to resource. Umm yeah we do just as much as the regular teachers do! Or more. Plus the regular teachers are going to leave nothing for those resource kids.

Tammy
googiebump is offline   Reply With Quote