Help

Substitute Teachers

so, it finally happened...

>

ciounoi

so, it finally happened...
Old 10-05-2009, 10:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

As I've said before, I work for a district that much more often than not treats their subs really well. Teachers are required to have lesson plans ready, etc. So I've had a good go at it!

HOWEVER,

Today I finally experienced the terror and horror of cryptic lesson plans and materials that were nowhere in sight! I had such gems as-

Reading: read guided readings
Social Studies: Birds
Introduce new centers

Needless to say, I was confused. After getting in two seperate teachers to help me out, I found most of the supplies I needed, but even then I still had some problems. I called in the neighboring teacher because of this:

Math: Ch. 2 test (circled)
Math: Ch. 2 (circled) Performance Assessment

So when I asked the neighboring teacher if I was giving one or two tests and where the heck the second test was, she asked me if I had arrived to school late, because of course the lesson plans were crystal clear and I'm always just coming in to the classroom when the kids are arriving!

On the plus side, the kids were really great! I give them credit for being second-graders and having a teacher with no clue what she's doing and STILL not being wild (I'm good at improvising stuff, but I could't improvise this much stuff!). So now I have new respect for subs who gets the short end of the lesson planning stick!

ciounoi is offline   Reply With Quote

Bertie

lesson plans
Old 10-05-2009, 11:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I've seen those lesson plans - they were written for the original teacher, they are NOT sub plans!!

Bold of the other teacher to suggest YOU were the one at fault. "introduce new centers" ???? What kind of help would that be to you?

Anyway, I'm sure you did a great job with the little info you had available.
Bertie is offline   Reply With Quote

thordau4

Old 10-05-2009, 11:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

There's an elementary school in my favorite district that I don't go to because of too many experiences with sketchy lesson plans instructing me to go make copies before class. There just isn't time to wait in line for the copier, make copies and figure out the lesson plans! I let other subs take those jobs!
thordau4 is offline   Reply With Quote

yoohoo

Old 10-05-2009, 12:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

well well well,,,,was she expecting you to pull a rabbit out of the hat too? Sheesh!!!!

It's one thing to not understand notes; totally another to have it written like your from another planet. YECH!!! If this is your first time subbing for this teacher; I would let this slide---like the other poster wrote it looks like they were written for another teacher....

I find it ridiculous when teacher's talk out of turn "she asked me if I arrived late because the lesson plans were crystal clear!"---oooHHH!!! Those kinds of comments make me stew...

Sometimes you want to say, how about you go to another school in another district and come into a class and see plans like this---see how fast you survive!!!!
yoohoo is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Old 10-05-2009, 02:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'm always afraid subs will think I'm micromanaging from a distance with the amount of detail I include in my plans, lol!!
I guess this teacher is on the other end of the achievement spectrum.......

MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote

thordau4

Old 10-05-2009, 03:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

MissESL, I never feel micromanaged with too much detail in the sub plan. I like checking it off, making notes and giving it back. It makes for a complete report that the teacher can understand.
thordau4 is offline   Reply With Quote

MikeRocode

Manage away!
Old 10-05-2009, 06:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

"...afraid subs will think I'm micromanaging"

More is always much more appreciated than not enough. The more detail, the better.
Micromanage away Miss ESL. I won't complain.
MikeRocode is offline   Reply With Quote

Kataqueens

Gotta love those teachers
Old 10-06-2009, 01:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Who think they can throw in their two cents to belittle guests at their school. Like the others have said, you probably did an excellent job with the resources you had available. Perhaps this teacher, when writing her sub emergency plans, grumbled and decided she didn't know what to do in case she was absent, and thought she was doing you a favor in being flexible. Eh, probably not! I'm sorry you had to deal with the added stress of an unhelpful teacher,
Kataqueens is offline   Reply With Quote

qudiva

Tooooooooo Funny!
Old 10-07-2009, 06:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Been there - done that! It hasn't happen often but once in a while I'll get plans like that - even when the teacher knows I'll be there that day. My favorite though are plans that say - Centers - don't worry the kids know what to do. And of course - they don't !

My favorite plans to get are plans that read like Teaching Grade ______ for idiots. It never hurts my feelings if a teacher goes into extra detail. Still there are times that I can't get every detail right even though they wrote it up for them (I once had a day's lesson plan be 5 pages - front and back - typed up for me). Needless to say I didn't remember every little thing the teacher wrote me.

The only time I had to roll my eyes was the science teacher that wrote me a note to say that the samples were in the refigerator - that was the big white box by the door. I left her a note that if she had to tell her subs what a refigerator was - then maybe she needed to look for better subs ! Like seriously!
qudiva is offline   Reply With Quote