Substitute Teachers

One Rude Kid

>

Eric7100

Eric7100

One Rude Kid
Old 10-06-2009, 04:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I subbed today in a nice school with very nice 6th graders. Except for one. A kid who had a behavior plan. He wasn't completely misbehaved, but he was very rude when I asked him what his name was for role. (I was having trouble figuring out the seating chart.) He echoed my requests with a repeated series of "WHAT?!" which made me look like a fool. I must have had nearly 100 kids all day (with the switching of classes), and all of them knew how to answer a very simple question. This one kid had to make a complete mockery out of it.

thordau4

I had a rude kid today too!
Old 10-06-2009, 05:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I was just thinking about posting about my rude student experience. He told me to 'shut the hell up'! It was in the last few minutes of class so I just left a note for the teacher.
thordau4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Augustus

Old 10-06-2009, 05:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

thor, just curious, but how old was that kid?
Augustus is offline   Reply With Quote

Maggie61

One Rude Student
Old 10-06-2009, 07:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Unfortunately, I think the most you can do is leave a note for a teacher. I do always make sure that I have a place to either send or place disruptive students, and usually other teachers introduce themselves and offer to accept misbehaving children. It's great the rest were respectful and you had this one only for part of the day. And if he had a behavior plan, then you know he's doing things on a regular basis with his teachers.
Maggie61 is offline   Reply With Quote

yoohoo

response....long
Old 10-07-2009, 04:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

hey, you had a heads up on this kids' behavior...for the rest of us unlucky souls...wellll it's a minefield of hormones and atittude

I was subbing in a 7th grade once and (of course, being a sub and not having history with this group of students---was in for some trouble)...you know the type.....she comes slinking in at the last minute in the middle of my introduction of who I am; proceeds to sit down with a loud sucking sound and rolling eyes...

and then to have the nerve to ask if she could get her sweater because it's cold; (it was hot as hades) and I firmly said, "no, you know the rules; 5 minutes before class starts" at which point she shouts out with a loud, "WHAATTTT!!! I can't work if I'm cold!" and my response is "oh well, you should have thought about that when you were moving from your other class. " "they don't let us go to lockers between classes!" "yes, I've been here and know that you only have locker times at specific periods so no go and I have to give out the assignment your teacher left you so I'm NOt going to address this issue anymore." then it was out of nowhere, "Can I go to the bathroom" at which I ignore..and she makes this loud sucking sound and starts rolling her eyes and makes this loud comment,
"I don't like you."
"What's your name?"
"Who me?" "Yes, you"
"XXXXXX"
"I really don't care if you like me or not; I'm not here because of a popularity contest: I'm here to teach you something or at least try to so instead of holding up the rest of the class who are here, for the rest of the period until I"m done with the lesson--I'm not going to address you.":
She slams on the desk; pouts and stomps her feet (trying to gain attention from anybody) there are a few that feed into this and I redirect their attention to the work the teacher left...

class is over and she gets up in a huff...and to my delight a student comes over to me and apologizes for her behavior and told me she's like that with everyone!!!!

yoohoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Augustus

Old 10-07-2009, 05:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I don't put up with all that. I don't play those games. The first rolling eyes (which just really bothers me) and the sucking sound, and I would just say "Out". Let her calm down in the hall for a bit. Then go visit with her and see how she is and if she is still Miss Attitude then she stays there.
Augustus is offline   Reply With Quote

Suspended

Ball Three

Suspended
Eric7100
Old 10-08-2009, 12:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

After the second or third "WHAT?!" I'd have called the office to come get this kid. His antics were keeping you from taking roll in a timely manner, and his deliberate rudeness was way over the line. (You couldn't have just SENT him to the office, since he knew you didn't know his name and he might have just disappeared.)

With this kid already on a "behavior plan" you would not be blamed for referring
him, and the office might have wanted to know ASAP of his latest misconduct.

Last edited by Ball Three; 10-08-2009 at 12:38 PM..
Ball Three is offline   Reply With Quote

mstngmom

IT must be something in the water
Old 10-08-2009, 05:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I also had a rude kid in one of my eighth grade classes on 10-6 as well. He said "f#$@ you" to my face. What did I do? Without missing a beat I threw him out of my class. I told him to go see mr/ms. so and so, whom the teacher I was subbing for told me to send any problems to them.
Then I proceeded to fill out a school referral form and left it for the regular teacher.
What A way to ruin a good day!

Last edited by mstngmom; 10-08-2009 at 05:54 PM.. Reason: not finished
mstngmom is offline   Reply With Quote

thordau4

Answer to Augustus re: rude kid's age
Old 10-08-2009, 07:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I was at an HS and I think it was a soph class.... so 15-16ish.
thordau4 is offline   Reply With Quote