Help

Substitute Teachers

Cut throat subs

>

WenReuLau

Cut throat subs
Old 10-10-2009, 10:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

At the particular school where I sub, we have pretty regular subs, in ranking order, (1) a long term sub who has been there for a few years and has seniority (2) got first long term assignment this year in 5th grade. (3) me--started at the beginning of last school year and have been very busy since. (4) started in September and has 6 kids attending this school. This school is pk - 12 and there are not many kids who don't know me, I've been in every class. There are some students who ae telling me that they are hearing #4 gripe and complain because I got a job on days that she didn't. I understand that it is frustrating not to work when someone else is but why discuss this with students? If not with me, at least take it up with the principal or someone who can do something about it. Should I confront her or would I just be wasting my time?

Last edited by WenReuLau; 10-10-2009 at 02:02 PM..
WenReuLau is offline   Reply With Quote

3of3

Old 10-10-2009, 02:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think you'd be waisting your time. If She had any integrity, she wouldn't discuss it with the students and probably wouldn't fess up that she talked about you when confronted. On a similar note, a sub that works at a school I work at a lot approached me the other day and asked how much I had been working there lately. I was uncomfortable telling her how often I am there-I can't control who calls which sub first. She asked me to take her number to recommend her in case I got a job I couldn't take. It sounds benign, but could have many potential problems.(I don't know her well enough) Even though subbing is not a competition, we are all going for jobs others may want, so it can be competitive. What job isn't. Smile and be happy you're getting the calls, I know I am!
3of3 is offline   Reply With Quote

yoohoo

Old 10-10-2009, 03:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

#4 has 6 kids!!! and still has time to gobble up jobs like there's no tomorrow??!!! WOW!!!! How does she deal with seeing kids for over 15 hrs. a day??!!! I knoow I'd go bonkers----that's why it's not such a make or break if I don't work every day of the week..

Also, it seems like she wants the jobs to be steady---why not work somewhere else where's it's not so cut throat? Oh yeah, she wants to be with her kids and know what's going on in school...

2nd--let it go---she's just blowing out a lot of gas---yeah, it's frustrating to know that being available doesn't always mean you're going to get a job--when I first started I would secretly seethe knowing that so and so was in the school for over 6 days and had to decline jobs because they were busy---HelloOOOoo, my phone still works!!!

she has to get over herself--for whatever reason she's not getting jobs and it has nothing to do with you unless you're the "gatekeeper"
yoohoo is offline   Reply With Quote

rhubarb

Interesting
Old 10-12-2009, 04:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I would let it roll off your back like duck feathers. The LAST thing you want is taking this to the Principal, trust me. I agree she should not be talking to the kids about this as she looks unprofessional. Ignore what you hear, smile and just do your job and keep getting requested. Stirring the pot with her would be a waste of time as you can imagine she WILL talk and gripe about that.
rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote