Tell me all you can about teaching gifted! - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Gifted Education

Tell me all you can about teaching gifted!

>

shel312

Tell me all you can about teaching gifted!
Old 10-11-2009, 07:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I know this is very general, but I am playing around with the idea of getting my GT endorsement. I currently teach 5th grade. We have one gifted class (self contained--which I do not teach). It seems like you could do so much more with a GT class. Tell me the positives as well as negatives of teaching GT kids--I would especially like the opinions of those who teach self contained GT.

My son is in GT in 4th grade and seems like he does such cool things. I get so tired of teaching a concept over and over and over just to have a hand full of kids still get Ds or Fs on tests. I feel like I am always reteaching. It seems like it would be so fullfilling to have kids "get it" and to be able to go farther with them.

Please help me make this decision.

shel312 is offline   Reply With Quote

dukest

Love my Gifted kids!
Old 10-12-2009, 10:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I presently teach fifth and sixth grade Gifted Science classes. I have two of each grade so I teach Science all day. I previously taught sixth grade science for many years. I love my GT classes. Like you say, I do not have to spend weeks going over the same concept. The students learn very quickly. I am able to take them so much farther than the basics. I am also able to do creative, artsy activities with them. I believe one of my favorite things is to give them a menu of activities to cover a topic and then leave it to them to come up with their choices. The students are SO much more creative than I am. The down side would be that you have to ALWAYS be on your toes and be ready to go. I know that my "regular ed" friends are able to come in and have quiet days of worksheets or book work. Gifted students will finish this in part of a period and then be ready for the next thing. You can lose them very quickly if you do not keep up with them. They are also very social so if this bothers you (it doesn't me) you may want to reconsider. They love to talk, and I believe that is just another way that they learn. I have never looked back or regretted moving to my GT classroom...even on days that I am exhausted and worn out! :-)
dukest is offline   Reply With Quote

Artbex

Old 10-13-2009, 05:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I believe dukest summed it up very well. The only thing I would add that can be frustrating is, there are also various levels of knowledge/skills within each GT class. That may not be true of all schools, but it is where I teach. You may have a few who are at the higher end and need to go farther and then have a couple who are low or twice exceptional that you have to work more with that slow things down in the same class. That makes me always wish I had more time to do all of the things I would like to do, but don't have time for. I think you will love it, I ceratainly have.
Artbex is offline   Reply With Quote