Help

Substitute Teachers

I did something stupid today and I am a veteran teacher

>

beanie

I did something stupid today and I am a veteran teacher
Old 10-08-2009, 11:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was subbing in a First Grade classroom today and I could not get their attention. They were out of control at their desk, in line etc.
I was pretty shook. So at lunchtime I asked the principal if he would mind stopping in and visiting with the class- it would only take 2 or 3 minutes I told him.
So he did come in right away at 12:30 and the afternoon went much better.
Now tell me, was that wrong?
I don't mean to make the teacher look bad, but i think I did.
I was just so desperate. And desperate people do desperate things.
This teacher has asked me back to sub.
I have learned from this situation that I will NEVER ever do this again.
If the class is out of control, I will just put up with it and never go back.
Tell me what you think.
I have taught for 31 years and I did something like this. I feel foolish.
And I think I made a bad name for myself.

beanie is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Old 10-08-2009, 11:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I can't figure out the big deal. Not only did this tactic work, but you were invited back. If the class is out of control, it probably isn't you. It could always be like that (look at how prompt the principal was to respond...sounds like he's had practice?) OR they could always act like that with subs (in which case leave a note...asking she firmly inform the class that she will KNOW if they don't behave and there WILL be dire consequences). Good luck AND RELLLLAAAX, friend! :-)
MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote

WenReuLau

Beanie
Old 10-08-2009, 12:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I don't think you did the wrong thing at all. More than likely both the principal and the teacher know that first graders are going to act differently with a sub, if anything you curbed some of this action for the next time you are in this classroom because they know that you WILL get the principal in there if they misbehave.
WenReuLau is offline   Reply With Quote
subczy

subczy

well it worked
Old 10-08-2009, 12:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

and sometimes you have to do what works. I have been in some rowdy elem classrooms and there is nothing worse than seeing it deteriorate. When that happens I usually have to put the brakes on whatever we are doing and conduct a lesson in the class contract, etc and it takes a LOT of time. If things still don't go well after that I usually just deal, leave a note about it then don't return to that room. I get that kids can be rowdy for a sub, etc but first graders shouldn't be so naughty! I think its neat you were asked back, I am sure the principal didn't mind helping out - as long as you don't make a habit of it.

blanche46

Well,
Old 10-08-2009, 01:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'm glad to hear it happens for veteran teachers as well, as sub! Sometimes you feel like the only one who can't handle a particular classroom. As for the principal...I'm sure they don't mind if they have the time...when all goes well in their school or in a classroom it reflects on them too! I may have to use that idea someday!

blanche46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suspended

Ball Three

Suspended
You Did Exactly Right!!
Old 10-08-2009, 01:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I agree with MissESL and WenReuLau!!!

As a teacher I know says about misbehavior, "You permit it, you promote it." I hate
it when I get a "what's wrong with you" attitude from teachers or administrators
when I ask for help straightening out a class which desperately needs it. I know then that the regular teacher, prior subs, administrators, or all of the above, have closed their eyes to the problems and left them for "someone else" (me) to handle.

This is an understandable temptation, especially for a sub, and you should be so proud that you resisted it, faced the situation, and GOT THE JOB DONE!! Indeed
the regular teacher MIGHT have felt that you made her look bad by asking for help with her class, but instead she took it like a pro, respected you for doing your job, and ASKED YOU BACK!! And good for the principal for doing HIS job! Sounds like a
school that deserves a great sub like you!!
Ball Three is offline   Reply With Quote

ciounoi

Old 10-08-2009, 03:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I think it was good that you did! I've done it before myself with difficult classes. However... once I remember that I called in the neighbooring teacher and asked to give my kids a scolding because they were using the teacher's art supplies (this was a DIFFICULT class... two days before Christmas and nothing but worksheets and candy all day), and he essentially said it was fine. Nothing I could do then, now that he basically OKed them running amuk in the classroom! I threw up my hands after that... when I left the classroom was a WRECK and various things had been broken. But I had no support.... so what could I do? My attempts at control were countered by somebody with more authority than I had!

Anyway... that tactic's fine to use, but hope and pray that you don't have an experience like mine!
ciounoi is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

subbing in first
Old 10-08-2009, 03:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

This year I have a VERY difficult class. If a sub had to ask the principal to come in and talk to the kids, I wouldn't have a problem with that.
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote

MikeRocode

Did the ok thing...
Old 10-08-2009, 10:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I don't see a problem. Kids that act different with a sub is somewhat the norm. Don't beat yourself up. Sometimes bringing in the big guns works just fine.

Wanna bet they'll remember that the next time you're there?

"...She's not afraid to call in the principal" is what they'll remember.
MikeRocode is offline   Reply With Quote

rhubarb

You did nothing wrong
Old 10-12-2009, 05:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I subbed for many years and wished I would have thought of using the principal like you did. Think of him as a "ladder" available to help subs when a class is like this. He and the teacher both know that this class is like this. Never feel bad for asking for help. Now, if you had to do this 14x times during the visit then I'd be worried.

I used to view a hooligan class like this as a chance to hone my management skills but that is just me. You did not make the teacher look bad. I had this class 2 years ago and subs would not come back. My only ah ha moment from that year is that they continued on to even greater heights of naughtidom for the next grade. My principal taught them after I did.

rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote

viktoriag

What was wrong?
Old 10-15-2009, 08:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I also don't understand how you think it is bad if the teacher already asked you back to sub?

And I don't see how you made the teacher look bad. Was that teacher there? I have been in classes that behave well (allegedly) for their teacher but just let loose for a substitute. Especially the little ones. I don't know why anyone would hold the teacher responsible for the way the kids behaved under a sub's care.

Maybe after teaching for so long you see it differently than we who are 'just subs,' but when I can't control a class, I feel like I am the one who is having the problem, not the absent teacher.
viktoriag is offline   Reply With Quote