Help

Substitute Teachers

What would you do?

>

grav_def

What would you do?
Old 10-11-2009, 05:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

On the second (?) day of school, a teacher I don't know called to book me for a 4-day absence that begins this coming Wednesday. Like I said, I don't know this person, and have only subbed at her school--or even in her district--a handful of times, but she got my card from a colleague of hers who used to work with me at an after-school job. She's a high school math teacher and is very concerned about finding someone who actually understands her subject; my former co-worker assured her that I do. In the month and a half since we first talked, she's emailed me regularly to make sure I'm still coming, to promise me lesson plans in advance (I haven't gotten any yet, though), etc.

Here's the dilemma: I've already been requested 3 or 4 times for days during that 4-day block. Virtually all of those are jobs I'd rather take: I don't like teaching high school (I can handle the math; I'm less confident about the students), and this particular school is far away and pays a bit less than my primary district, and my primary district provides insurance after working a certain number of days so I'd like to work towards that. On the other hand, I only have definite work elsewhere for 2 of the 4 days so far. And, mostly, I promised.

So what would you do, besides walk away with the lesson not to accept jobs you don't particularly want so far out?

grav_def is offline   Reply With Quote

Eric7100

Eric7100

Promise
Old 10-11-2009, 06:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

A promise is a promise.

Melsub

Old 10-11-2009, 07:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I agree, you did promise to work for her. It's obviously important to her, since she has e-mailed you regularly to make sure you were coming.
Melsub is offline   Reply With Quote

MikeRocode

Ethics
Old 10-11-2009, 08:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

"...I promised"

You're either a person of your word or not.
MikeRocode is offline   Reply With Quote

blanche46

I hate to say it...
Old 10-12-2009, 03:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

but I would take the job because I promised and "walk away with the lesson not to accept jobs you don't particularly want so far out". Sadly with this economy and the worry there might not be enough jobs I think alot of us might have done the same thing, a 4 day assignment seems like a GREAT thing and very flattering the 2nd day of school, until the reality of what you just agreed to sets in.

Maybe the teacher will send you her plans (as promised) and you will have lots to do and things will go smoothly (hopefully she left you something like a study guide and test...the threat of a zero if they don't cooperate always works for me...). If she doesn't I would e-mail HER now, to be sure you are fully prepared. GOOD LUCK...let us know what happened!

blanche46 is offline   Reply With Quote

rhubarb

I'm confused
Old 10-12-2009, 04:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Has she booked the assignment yet? If that is the case email her to book it pronto. You did promise and it will reflect poorly on you to the person that recommended you and will not impress this teacher. Word of mouth gets around fast.

Remind her to send you the lesson plans so you can do the best job you can. If you do not want to teach high school math next time say you are unavailable.
rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote

grav_def

Old 10-12-2009, 07:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Yes, she booked the assignment a little while ago. But even though that's in the computer, since I do almost all of my subbing in other districts, I'm still getting job offers through their computer systems and also in person.

I pretty much agree with what everyone said, but I sometimes have an overdeveloped sense of guilt or duty or whatever you want to call it, so I figured I'd check...

grav_def

No good deed goes unpunished...
Old 10-13-2009, 04:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I remembered why I wasn't feeling particularly loyal to this teacher: It's because that loyalty is never reciprocated. She called today to tell me that they don't need me to come in tomorrow after all, for some reason having to do with the PSAT's. She was really nice about it and apologized about 17 times, and I know it's an administrative decision, not the teacher's, but it's still frustrating considering that I turned down two jobs I really wanted for tomorrow to keep it open for this.

blanche46

Wow!
Old 10-13-2009, 04:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

That really stinks! But as they say everything happens for a reason...you got out of the job and are free to take something you want now(if they call) and if nothing else you have a day off, ENJOY IT! You deserve it for all that stress, and with your reputation in tack!

grav_def

Old 10-16-2009, 07:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

^ Thanks for the sympathy. I ended up getting a half day on Wednesday, which is a whole lot better than nothing.

And now I'm 2 days into the 3-day HS assignment, and it's going really well. Honestly, I've never met such nice high school kids. And since the kids at that school are so nice, and since the entire math department is thrilled that there is actually a substitute in existence in their district who can do math more complicated than fractions, I've been booked for 5 or 6 more days of calculus. I guess the calculus teachers have a really hard time finding a sub who will do anything more than babysit...

Bertie

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Great to hear its worked out so well......karma I say!
Bertie is offline   Reply With Quote

blanche46

What is it they say...
Old 10-17-2009, 05:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

EVERYTHING happens for a reason!!! How lucky for you that you have nice HS students...and now more jobs to boot! As Bertie said,"It's Karma!."