Help

Substitute Teachers

The school with the teachers on a first-name basis

>

Kataqueens

The school with the teachers on a first-name basis
Old 10-16-2009, 11:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I spoke about how the students refer to their teachers by their first name, and yesterday found out that they refer to the principal by her first name, too! The principal was walking the halls and poking her heads in classes to wave at the students, and a group of girls said "Hi Laura!"

Interesting

Kataqueens is offline   Reply With Quote

yoohoo

Old 10-16-2009, 12:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Whatever happened to a separation of adults and children? I mean when a child says hello, they are to address me as Ms.______.

Kind of weird when I hear my name being called like that
yoohoo is offline   Reply With Quote
subczy

subczy

wow....
Old 10-16-2009, 12:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I don't even have my first name on my name tag. It says Mrs. ____ that is what *I* prefer to be called and sinc eit is MY name THAT is what they will call me. Are you okay w/ them calling you by the first name?

I really think this school is using the name thing as a gimmick. This is doing these kids no service for the real world. When they get jobs and ASSUME everyone wants to be called by their first names it might end up being hard for them and even cost them a few jobs. JMHO. Sorry, but I thought we were preparing kids for the REAL world???

Azure

We have
Old 10-16-2009, 01:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

a Montessouri Public School in our district. The teachers and principals are called mrs./ Mr. first name.

When the kids transfer to the other schools, they don't have problems calling us by our last names.

I think it's just what they are use to and what is expected of them.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote

Kataqueens

It's fine by me
Old 10-17-2009, 11:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

If that's what the school wants/fosters, then that is what I have to follow. In this school, it doesn't affect the way the girls treat their teachers, but like I said in another thread, there is another school where this is the procedure and it gives the students a sense of entitlement. Knowing that I am the teacher, the girls still raise their hands if they have a question or need help with something, but it takes some getting used to, especially if there is another student in the class who has your name! =)

Kataqueens is offline   Reply With Quote

kjuda

Old 10-17-2009, 02:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I only answer to "Mrs. J". It is about boundaries and respect and in my view, no student should call an adult by a first name. I've been in schools where anything goes, and when I've relented there is a definite blurring of lines. Entitlement is a good way of describing the attitude. Not gonna happen in my classroom!
kjuda is offline   Reply With Quote

lovetosub

I've seen this before
Old 10-18-2009, 04:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

and it doesn't bother me when kids call me by my first name. My kids' friends, my friends' kids, all call me Ann.

Ironically enough, I am called Mrs. so and so in the classroom, but in like kind, I usually call the students Mr. or Ms. insert first or last name here. Respect should be earned, not just given. And if this school feels that student empowerment is through familiar name use, then why not. Perhaps they're finding that this gives the students a personal connection to the learning process and the teachers themselves, and enables learning at a different level? Who's to say?

It seems a very "60s" sentiment, if you catch my meaning. Only the coolest teachers in my high school allowed us to call them by their first name. And they were always the BEST teachers as well. Still remember most of my history lessons from HS a Very Long Time Ago from Bruce, our history teacher.

Kataqueens, I like your approach. When in Rome.....
lovetosub is offline   Reply With Quote