Substitute Teachers

sub license

>

suziesuzie

suziesuzie

sub license
Old 10-13-2009, 01:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi - I subbed for over 10 years - got really burnt out seeing people getting hired that were just related to school board members and never subbed so I moved on to other forms of employment.

Meanwhile my license lapsed - now keep in mind it probably costs 2000 to 5000 bucks to take the very specific classes my state requires - 6 credits every 5 years - unlike some states where it costs less.

So the economy is bad here - so I run into an old teacher friend who tells me about her subs not being able to even read or whatever and why am I not subbing - so since I am working reduced hours in my job - I decide to get listed to sub again.

So I have to have an interview with my local school HR offiice.

So my state only requires a high school diploma to sub.

So because I have let my license lapse - I have to get a sub permit and a criminal history - which of course is a couple days of sub pay if I even get called.

So I go online to get that done - and the state is balking on letting me have a sub license since I have a lapsed teaching license - keep in mind that you only need a high school diploma to sub teach.

I do not have the money to renew my license - and even if I did - I would have to take a long time to take classes, buy books, travel, pay the new license fee.

This to make 50 bucks a day - less than minimum wage.

But if I didn't have a lapsed license - and just had a high school diploma - I could get a sub license no problem.

Now isn't this the stupidist thing you have ever heard of?

Now the thing is you use your SS number to apply for a license - so since my real license has expired - there you go.

I have to ask myself given the rate of pay - is it even worth it for me to pay money to keep taking more classes to renew my license.

I mean it is almost the whole years pay - IF I get called at all to sub.

Then they wonder why students in my state are failing their exams right and left.

Anyway I have talked to other people in the same boat as me.

yoohoo

Old 10-13-2009, 02:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Weird huh??!!! you have a lapsed license and they balk???!!! can you just go in with the hs diploma and get emergency certification and call it a day?

How much does it take to renew your license?
yoohoo is offline   Reply With Quote
WenReuLau
Old 10-13-2009, 02:56 PM
This message has been deleted by WenReuLau.

WenReuLau

Old 10-13-2009, 03:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Were you licensed to sub or to teach?
WenReuLau is offline   Reply With Quote
suziesuzie

suziesuzie

Old 10-17-2009, 08:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Licensed to teach - hence the renewal - my state requires very expensive classes - only specific ones - not cheap. 6 credits every 5 years - really a challenge to pay for when you have a low income too. I have renewed several times - I have part of my masters - but IF I finish my masters they definitely won't hire me - puts me on a higher payscale. At my age not sure it is worth it either. Anyway lots of people are complaining about this in my state - so maybe it will change - getting closer to the holidays though - so time is wasting away waiting for them to get their act together. I really enjoy teaching - but jumping through the political hoops is getting old and expensive.
suziesuzie

suziesuzie

Old 10-19-2009, 02:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

The problem is still not resolved in my state. The problem is that you put in your ss number to get licenses - and to do the criminal history - they have a problem with it coming up that you have a license and want to renew - I can't renew cause I don't have the funds to take classes - it is just too expensive - heck - I have about 200 credit hours as it is. The thing is if I just had a high school diploma - zing - I could get licensed in like 10 days or less. Now the holidays are around the corner. So I am applying to work at Walmart instead. Now the school systems are trying to resolve the problem too. It is just silliness.