Help

Substitute Teachers

Long term different...

>

wnlbutterfly

Long term different...
Old 10-17-2009, 03:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am currently into my long term about 2 weeks now (4th grade), and what I have realized is how it is a different animal on many levels. We are at grade card time right now and I am trying like crazy to get kids caught up so their grades aren't in the dumpster. Wouldn't believe how many copies of "lost" papers I have made only to have children tell me "oh, it's in my locker", or even "I lost that new copy you just gave me". BUT, I am dealing with that and next week we will be into a new semester.

The upside is that I am getting to know the daily schedule and it is nice to know all the names of the children in class, no surprises on that when I walk into the classroom. And I have amazing support of the teachers and staff at this school as well as the teacher I am subbing for.

But the one thing I am finding is that classroom management is a little different, not different as in what to do, but different in that when I sub for a day, I pick my battles and some things aren't big issues that I worry about, but on a long-term, you let one thing slide and chaos gets a foothold. Basically this class is acting like it is the first week of school, and in a way, it is for them since they now have a new teacher.

This week I am going to start a tally sheet, modeled after what the 5th grade teachers do here. Honestly, the biggest issue with this class is the talking/blurting/interrupting, but it is affecting our lessons now (not getting through them because of the interruptions), and that isn't going to continue, CAN'T continue.

I hate doing negative behavior plan, but we do have positive behavior with the classroom cash and I try to hand that out anytime kids are on task. But have got to rein in the chatter quickly. I even had one boy ask me outloud a question from the test they were taking, as if it was the normal thing to do.

Any thoughts or positive feedback is more than welcome.

wnlbutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote

subczy

subczy

yeah, you're a saint...
Old 10-19-2009, 11:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

around here you do't get extra $$ until your 22 day of th elong term and they always make sure you never make it to that (non school days don't count either so you don't get paid on teacher work days or inservices, etc) So, not only is your day longer - include duties and projects, you may or may not have the support of the reg. teacher in preparing plans, grading, etc either. And if you have children of your own you'd have to pay for childcare b/c you woudln't get otu of work early enough to pick them up from school so that additionally takes away from your pay on top of the time to pay ratio.

I had one long term last year planned and had to cancel it. One because in the middle of it I'd have ot have surgery And b/c w/the added hours, and childcare cost (I don't normally have) instead of making $70 for a 7.5 hrs day I'd be making $70 for a 8+ hr day plus childcare costs of $15/day not to mention taking home papers to grade and planning.

So, unless I am trying to apply for a teaching position in the dist I dont' think I'd take on another long term. I LOVE teaching and was so excited to get that long term. Especially since they had ot req permission since I am an emerg. lic sub but in the end it isn't worth it. THAT teacher was great w/ her class mgmt and she had all the plans perpared, but most don't. So I think you are a saint. I hate to say that pay to work ratio/cost is something I consider, but I do. I have owned my own business in the past and set my prices that way and I can't help but think that way now too. Have fun and enjoy the class!!

wnlbutterfly

Old 10-19-2009, 04:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

If it was like that I probably wouldn't have accepted this long term. This is my second one, last one was 3 yrs ago though. First 10 days is at regular sub pay $90, then it flips to long-term at $180 a day (base salary for teachers). I have heard from another sub that if I did have to have a sick day, I could request that and be okay (they wouldn't restart my pay), but I don't really want to push my luck, and I didn't hear that from the payroll office, so don't want to bank on that. Of course if I got sick I wouldn't have a choice.

I also do lunch recess and get paid for that ($7.50 for 20 minutes).

Having said that there are a LOT more responsibilities. Just got the grade posted today for the grade cards, and the whole system online was freezing up, didn't think I would ever get it finished, but they are done. And I know the principal was breathing down teachers necks about it also (we don't even hand them out until Wednesday). Have to deal with book orders and fundraisers, homework, grades, conflicts in the classroom, parents calling about conflicts...the list goes on and on.

I do stay a little later but I don't have to worry about babysitting, but I don't think there is anything wrong with factoring that in if you have that expense.

Wasn't suppose to have to do parent teacher conferences, but got nabbed in the hallway by one set of parents to discuss their child. It was fine, but unexpected.

BTW, the tally system did help a lot today, they were still a little chatty, but nothing compared to last week. I had one child have a mini-melt down (temper tantrum basically) and finally another teacher sent him to the office. He didn't want to make corrections on his test. This is exactly what they did for the last test when she was here, so it wasn't anything unusual, you would have thought I had asked him to rewrite the whole dictionary.
wnlbutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote