Help

Substitute Teachers

subbing upper level math

>

Mrs. Poppins

subbing upper level math
Old 10-03-2009, 07:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Do any of you sub high school and, like me, don't remember enough about what the students are studying in upper level math to be effective? I've come across several jobs on Aesop that are Calculus, AP Algebra, etc. and can't bring myself to click that accept button. I know that there are other subs out there better prepared for those subjects, and I'm not hurting for work, so I let them pass. What would you do?

Mrs. Poppins is offline   Reply With Quote

CaliSub

Upper Level Subjects
Old 10-03-2009, 07:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Mrs. Poppins, I have had very positive experiences subbing for higher level classes. Seems the teachers think it is very unlikely that they will have a sub familiar in such a specialized area. With that in mind the students are assigned worksheets or watch a video. The best thing is that students in high level classes are the "cream of the crop" so there are rarely any behavior problems. I have found they are just very nice smart kids.
CaliSub is offline   Reply With Quote

lovetosub

I, too, usually avoid
Old 10-03-2009, 09:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

subbing for HS math classes. I hate being asked a question about a problem by a student and not being able to at least Know what I'm talking about. But I've learned that there is at least one very bright student in every class who is willing to help those who don't understand something. Besides, most of the schools I sub at have a "store" of math specialization subs who are awarded those jobs first anyway. The ones left are for those of us who specialize in Everything! Ha! Ha!
lovetosub is offline   Reply With Quote

wuttadeal

I won't sub upper maths
Old 10-05-2009, 09:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I won't sub upper level math. I have had too many sub jobs (various subjects) where the regular teacher expects that I know the material. I'm good with most things, but not higher math. I know lots of subs who are comfortable enough with it, they can have those assignments and I'll sub the middle school p.e. class that no one wants to take

diana in or
wuttadeal is offline   Reply With Quote

thordau4

Old 10-05-2009, 11:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I avoid HS math also, because behavior is awful. At first, I thought it was because my math was rusty. On advice from someone on this forum, I bought Cliff Notes for Math Standardized Testing and refreshed my skills. Still, even with me doing the problems on the board - and all they have to do it COPY, behavior was awful. I think people hate math and act looney in classes to avoid!

I have subbed in the AP classes, all subjects and those students are well-behaved and say thank you for EVERYTHING. It's hard to tell when accepting a job. It just says the subject and doesn't indicate if the students are those wonderful advanced placement kids!

thordau4 is offline   Reply With Quote

thordau4

bottom line.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I would accept those jobs. Math teachers usually don't expect you to remember math. We don't use it every day. I also sub in foreign language classes - even French which I've never studied. I have studied Spanish and can limp along in it, but even when I sub in Spanish, I am not expected to know the subject.
thordau4 is offline   Reply With Quote