Help

Substitute Teachers

I got sick on the job today...

>

lv2read

I got sick on the job today...
Old 10-16-2009, 10:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Has this ever happened to any of you? I wasn't feeling very well when I got up in the morning and threw up before I left for work. I figured I was done, well I was sadly mistaken. As I signed in I mentioned to the office assistant that I wasn't feeling well but didn't want to let them down and be short a sub for the day. So 40 minutes into the beginning of the day, I threw up in the trash can. Talk about making an impression with the kids. I felt better the rest of the day but I don't want to get a reputation of being a problem substitute.

lv2read is offline   Reply With Quote

neanea

Old 10-17-2009, 05:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Did you go home after getting sick at school? I hope so. We don't need to be heros. If a child threw up at school, they are automatically sent home and so should teachers.
neanea is offline   Reply With Quote

kjuda

Old 10-17-2009, 06:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thursday I had a job scheduled at a school I love, but started to feel sick in the middle of the night. (think it's a mild version of flu: respiratory infection, horrible headache that won't quit) I knew there was no way I could deal with 28 first graders so I turned the job back ("rejected") around 3 am. I am scared that doing this will make them take me off the list. The bad thing with Aesop is you can't give a reason why you are backing out at the last minutes. Any thoughts?
kjuda is offline   Reply With Quote

yoohoo

Old 10-17-2009, 06:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

while I never got sick and threw up on the job---I certainly did get something while ON the job....I was subbingn in MS and was fine--went about my business; writing the assignment on the board; and had a snack---10 minutes later---OOOOhhhh---I was dizzy--was becoming hot and cold and dizzy---I thought it was hunger so I ignored the signs---well, after another period I didn't get any better and had to go down to the secy' and tell her I wasn't feeling good and had to go home.

Well I threw up the WHOLE NIGHT (I had a 24 hr. bug)!!!!! Apparently, what had happened was I didn't wash my hands (or Purrell) after touching the teacher's markers (now some would say I was already sick)

The schools understand that sickness is a part of life---they'll know you're legit as long as it's not chronic...like every time you sign up you cancel. Hey, you get sick on the job---GO HOME!!!!!

As for rejecting a job if you get sick oh well, that's why we're subs...stuff comes up that we can't coontrol--as long as you don't cancel a lot then it's ok...
yoohoo is offline   Reply With Quote

3of3

Old 10-17-2009, 07:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

You should have called the office to get a sub for the sub.. you must have been miserable staying in the class after the trash can incident. You don't want to further spead the illness and there's not need for heroics. You are human, you will get sick, too. I think we as subs sometimes feel like we have to go above and beyond to prove ourselves to schools when most would not do the same for us. (I'm starting to sound like Augustus now) When you are sick, stay home and take care of yourself. It's better for all and another sub just might need that half day assignment!

3of3 is offline   Reply With Quote

lv2read

I should have cancelled at the last minute
Old 10-17-2009, 08:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

but was afraid of getting bumped off their list. The system that the district uses is automated, except from 6am-8am when it is making outgoing calls to place subs. I have the school's office # but knew the office mgr wouldn't pick up the phone until 7:30am, when I was expected to show up for the job.

My illness wasn't contagious; it was diabetes related. Next time, I'll call and cancel.
lv2read is offline   Reply With Quote

Alicia G

Old 10-17-2009, 08:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

So sorry that this happened to you.
Alicia G is offline   Reply With Quote
joyjoyee

joyjoyee

hate that dizzy feeling..
Old 10-17-2009, 10:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I had a similar bug at the end of summer. The worst part is feeling dizzy (especially when you are not at home). But I must ask...how do you know it was because you touched the teacher's markers? Was it because the teacher you were subbing for was out sick with something similar?

red leaf

throwing up in the trash can
Old 10-17-2009, 05:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

sounds pretty embarrassing!! So sorry you had to go through that.

I have this idea that part of my job as a sub is to stay healthy and always be available. Not realistic at all!! I was out for an entire week with laryngitis, and when I went back a couple days ago, thinking I was all better, I had a coughing fit reading a story, you know, the kind where you turn beet red and can't stop. I had to leave the classroom until it was over. Fortunately, the rest of the day was without incident.

I don't think we are penalized in any way for being sick. What I am aware of though is that if a teacher likes you, you can get prioritized, both on aesop and on individual school sub lists (I sub the private school circuit). And this is the time of year where they are getting to know you and who is available.
red leaf is offline   Reply With Quote

yoohoo

Old 10-17-2009, 05:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

joy---all I know was that I was fine and dandy coming into the building---then after rummaging around for markers I had a quick sandwich to eat (with my bare hands--fingers)....then about 15 minutes into the next class I started feeling whoozy..soooo.....

yoohoo is offline   Reply With Quote
subczy

subczy

last year....
Old 10-19-2009, 11:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I got sick as I was getting my stuff and walking out. Itw as still quite early (I was newere than and went in quite early to read plans, etc) There was still nearly an hour before school started (I planned on getting a soda and driving across town that's why it was so early) Anyway...so after I got sick I realized I couldnt' teach. I called the school - no answer (they typically don't answer until AFTER the final bell rings at the elem schools *sigh*) so I called the principals cell (we are friends) no answer, so I call her dc lady (I used to do dc and know her) and she had already dropped her dd off. so I call her dh at home but he doesn't answer. So, I had to go in. The Aesop wouldn't let me cancel it as it was too late. So i show up and say that I am sick but can stay til ltehy find someone, but make it quick. I was there 45 min. I knew I would not get paid for that time, but I didn't want ot leave them in a bind. But you know what, I'll never do it again (for that school) - I didn't so much as get a thank you for it for anyone. (and I was REALLY sick) If it ever happens again I'll leave amsg on the principals clel and a voice mail for the secretary and so be it. HOpe you are feeling better. ((I have also gotten sick half way through teh a.m. and had to leave and boy did I feel a bit of rath from them b/c they'd have to pay me and someone else for the a.m. geesh - as if I wanted to be so sick!

COsub1

Old 10-20-2009, 10:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I am so sorry to hear of the lack of appreciation from schools over a sub getting sick.

I had a really good experience a few weeks ago. I got sick mid morning. They were very, very nice. Told me that I would be paid for a half a day. They put a call in for another sub and told me to go home right away. After the school closed that day, the principal's secretary called to see how I was doing. She even said that she hoped that I would come back. I haven't been back yet but I will.
COsub1 is offline   Reply With Quote

myownwoman

Old 10-21-2009, 12:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I'm sorry too that you were not feeling well and had to leave early. The school's staff should realize that subs are human too, just like them, and things crop up all the time.

Here's to more understanding and respect!
myownwoman is offline   Reply With Quote