Help

Early Childhood Education (Pre-K)

3 Year Old Preschool - Need Advice Please

>

heartkids

3 Year Old Preschool - Need Advice Please
Old 01-29-2010, 11:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello all. I am in need of some advice. I had a 4 year old boy in my 3 year old preschool. After many, many weeks of trying to get child to school, we (parents, other teachers/admin, and myself) have decided he may not be ready for school yet. I have decided to have an exit interview with the school counselor, parents and myself. I wanted to discuss getting the child ready for school in the fall. I was going to mention morning and nightly routines, getting items ready before bed, etc. Can you think of any other things that I should discuss with them?

Thanks for your advice and support.

Nicole

heartkids is offline   Reply With Quote

happytosub

Old 01-29-2010, 02:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Are you saying that his parents just can't get him going in time for school in the morning?
happytosub is offline   Reply With Quote

Valone

Old 01-29-2010, 03:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Yes, I am also confused why you(parent) can't get a child to school. He isn't ready for a three year old program? Is he behaviorally, socially, emotionally or academically ill-prepared?
Valone is offline   Reply With Quote

playpower

advice
Old 01-29-2010, 04:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

This is what I understand from your post-
You had a 4 year old in your class, determined that he was not ready to participate and now you are trying to develop a plan for his successful return in the Fall?
If this is the case, if you are trying to advise the parents, I suggest that you recommend many peer socialization opportunities. See if he can meet up with some of the children currently enrolled at a common place. I understand what you are saying regarding routines, but (specifically "getting items ready before bed") are you saying that they were late to class because they were unorganized? Perhaps this was part of why he wasn't "ready." It's difficult for many children to join in when class has already started. Or are you wanting to address this so that he can practice skills?
playpower is offline   Reply With Quote

heartkids

Old 02-01-2010, 10:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Sorry to confuse others....

He was in the afternoon program. That is all we offer for 3 year olds at our school. We (parents and I, the teacher) have determined that he is not ready for school. I am wanting advice to help prepare him coming to school in the fall.

He started school with everyone in the fall. He will just be switching in 2010 fall from p.m. to a.m.

Thanks playpower for the suggestion. I will suggest that to them as well.

heartkids is offline   Reply With Quote