Help

Early Childhood Education (Pre-K)

"My child is bored...."

>

wgirl

"My child is bored...."
Old 03-14-2010, 06:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I just have to vent. I had parent teacher conferences, and a parent told me their child is bored at school in K4. This parent is a former middle school teacher and a stay at home mom now. The child knows all of her letters & numbers; however her play is very immature and she is an independent player. I have 18 students who attend school for 2.5 hours. I explained to the parent that this year has been more challenging with the fact that we have a new comm arts curriculum that we added and HWT (handwriting without tears) is new to our curriculum. I teach literacy, math, large group (calendar), HWT (2 days a week), centers, snack and recess all in 2.5 hours. I try to do 1 art project a week, unforuntately that is all we have time for with all of the other things we have to do each day.

I was insulted when the parent asked for the schedule of the day, and later I come to find out the parent tells me at the conference that her friend's child goes to another school in the district for K4 and the parent is comparing our schedules and lessons. UGH!!! The parent goes on to tell me her daughter likes me, but the child wishes she could go back to preschool where they did art projects everyday. Again I explained to her what we do in only 2.5 hours and how we've had to cut back on art projects, because of the amount of academics we are expected to teach. This parent has irritated me, and has changed my view on her.

What do you do when parents say their child is bored and you have a class of students all over the spectrum in learning? Any advice or tips appreciated! Thanks!!

wgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

lovechildp

lovechildp

Old 03-14-2010, 07:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I can understand your pain. What I have learned is to try to differentiate during center time and small group times.....making sure their needs are met and they progress from where they are to where you want them to be. It will require you to set the goals for everyone according to their levels, needs, strenghths and then go from there. Please don't feel bad....after doing all this too there may be parents who will not be happy and get satisfied. They just don't understand the classroom limitations and dynamics and their own children sometimes. So just do your best and then ignore if it still continues. Good luck!

Stormiej

I understand your pain
Old 03-14-2010, 07:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I also had a parent tell me her child is bored but this student wants to go to the bathroom once we begin circle time or have seat work to complete, anything that's academics and not play he bored says mom. He has very poor fine motor skills, is just writing his name where you can understand it and I'm still working with him to let go of the the" fist grip" hold on a pencil. I have suggested ways to help strengthen his fine motor skills, do you think she wants to talk about hows that's going. Nooo!

He is spoiled badly by his mother and grandmother who feels he does no wrong or make excues for him. I told mom," I disagree with his being bored as he wants to go to the bathroom to get out of doing any work". I know and understand children learn from playing and how vital it is but they can't play all day and do art especially when you have academics to cover and are short on time. I agree with the "guest post" that you should try and give her work that's a little more challenging and see how she does with that if you can do it. Good luck and hang in there!
Stormiej is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsJ

They don't know what bored is
Old 03-14-2010, 08:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

No, really. Little kids use that word without knowing what it means, and the parents are all over it. Usually it means that they don't understand what to do, or they just don't feel like doing what is required. Ask your student what they mean when they say they are bored, and see what they say. Also, be sure to have your documentation handy when you meet with parents so you have proof of what skills they have, and what they need. If they are "bored" while you are teaching needed skills, they are probably not comfortable with being asked to do something that is challenging for them. But good assessments will give you the answers you need. Good luck!
MrsJ is offline   Reply With Quote

fredflintston

Old 03-14-2010, 02:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Unfortunately the parents who complain their child is bored are often ones who do not understand development and expect too much from their child and therefore expect the school to do more than is developmentally necessary. I would not justify it with any more of an explanation to the parent then you have already given unless she comes back looking for more. If she comes back remind her that you are working on developmental skills that are necessary for her to succeed in an academic program and you do not feel it's necessary to change your program. There is likely no pleasing this parent. Good Luck.

fredflintston is offline   Reply With Quote

wgirl

Old 03-14-2010, 04:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thanks for all your feedback and encouraging words!
wgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Ruby07

Bored...
Old 03-15-2010, 06:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I absolutely HATE IT when parents say that their child says s/he is bored in the classroom. The above poster is right -- they have NO CLUE what it means. But really fuels the fire in the parent, doesn't it?!?!

So this year, I have a little boy who is very bright, he's one of my oldest students, and his mom says that he reports that he's bored.

I used to get so intimidated by this sort of comment, but now, my attitude is like, 'BRING IT ON!" So I invited her to spend the day with us to see that there's no chance of boredom in my classroom.

She sat through our extremely busy, academically rigorous day (like you, we have a full curriculum and only 2.5 hours!), and concluded that I was right.

So I'd invite that annoying mother right into your busy day and let her see how "bored" she is. And, hey -- if she's a SAHM with time on her hands, let her be a volunteer to come and do some art projects with the kids once a week!
Ruby07 is offline   Reply With Quote
QueenRosie

QueenRosie

So frustrating!
Old 03-25-2010, 06:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

wgirl, I totally understand your frustration. One of my students' parents started the year claiming that she should skip PreK and go to kinder. She is very bright academically, but emotionally very needy (cried whenever leaving mom or dad in the morning, & very clingy) and requires lots of teacher support. They had even convinced the little girl that she was bored in my class & too smart for pre-k--she announced it to the whole office, in front of me, the principal, & AP! To make it even worse, one of her parents is a teacher at my school!

But I agree with Ruby07. I invited the parents to observe/volunteer, and they have a few times. I have given her challenging work & most importantly try to constantly communicate to them the advanced opportunities (I think they just want special treatment) I am providing her. By the spring conference, they were much more respectful and supportive...but I pity her kinder teacher!

Shari

Volunteer?
Old 04-24-2010, 02:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Sounds like the parent may be a potential volunteer. Your classroom sounds very busy and developmentally appropriate. After spending a day with your class, helping others, she may feel differently.
Shari is offline   Reply With Quote