Early Childhood Education (Pre-K)

2nd grade teacher needing help!

>

pearepals

2nd grade teacher needing help!
Old 05-24-2010, 03:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi Everyone--

I am actually a 2nd grade teacher, but I have been asked to take on a student in my school who has a moderate handicap and is working on a preschool level. His special education teacher was attempting to get him moved to a school that is more specialized, but her supervisor will not allow it at this time. He also has a speech problem and is only at about 55%.

I am on here searching for ideas to get ready throughout the summer. I really want to do the most I possibly can for this child in my classroom. He needs to work a lot on handwriting, letter names/sounds, and can only count up to six. If you say what comes after six, he will say seven, eight, nine, but if he is counting on his own he will count 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3,4,5,6, and so on. He is also able to write his name (with a capital A for the first letter), however he does not know what the letters are, nor the sounds. She said that he does have the grasp of colors now, but its not perfected.

I am open to any suggestions, printables, or resources I should buy, etc.

Thanks in advanced!

pearepals is offline   Reply With Quote

HBCaligirl

hopefully helpful
Old 06-02-2010, 06:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I work at a public school that is pre k through 5 and the methods and lesson focus I use in my classroom seem to be very different than those used in second grade classrooms here on campus. I think it might be easier to offer you suggestions on how I might modify lessons from a second grade level to a preschool level because I don't really know what to offer that will go along with your curriculum. I hope what I have written here is helpful.

Especially with math I tend to lean towards teaching using concrete experiences. It seems to help this age group (3 to 5 yr olds) to pick up on new concepts and expand on the ones that they have mastered. For example, part of our math lesson is to count objects daily. We will sometimes show a number in written form, show the children the same number of objects and then count them together. Afterwords give the children time to use the materials in small group or free choice centers. We use this type of activity to help build counting skills, build number recognition and to help build their 1 to 1 correspondence understanding. We tend to use this same method through out the year and gradually build towards adding and taking away objects from groups to introduce the concepts of addition and subtraction. Our older 4's and 5's get these concepts by the end of the year.

For handwriting practice we use dry erase boards, short but chubby pencils and half crayons (as suggested by the O.T. to help promote correct pencil grip). Although some teachers do not think that having children this young trace letters and numbers on a worksheet is appropriate, we do use tracing as a way of teaching letter and number formation.

You are awesome for taking on this challenge!
HBCaligirl is offline   Reply With Quote