Help

Gifted Education

Tell me what you think.

>

believe2002

Tell me what you think.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a student this year that is outstanding with Calendar. I was wondering if anyone has any insight on my situation. This student can tell me any day of the week when given a date. I could ask him what day of the week is on July 14, 2007 and he could tell me. He knows every students birthday in my class after looking at the birthday chart only a few times. During journal he creates calendars using nothing as a reference. I was wondering if anyone could share something that is familar to anything you have every experienced. I forgot to mention, I teach first grade. This child is only 6 years old. He does well in all other areas, but excells with calendars and math. Does anyone have any ideas how to enrich this special gift?

believe2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

lilian

lilian

what i think
Old 03-13-2007, 12:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

i think that the student is really great
Lilian

Lilian

Old 03-13-2007, 12:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

no better teach him on his weakness so he can improve on other areas like his calendar and maths what about english?what is his name?

patschmidt

is he autistic????
Old 03-13-2007, 02:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Just wondering because he may be obsessed with the calendar and if so having him do extra work in it would be detrement to him.
patschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote

josephineg

calendar kid having a good time
Old 04-25-2007, 06:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have insight. The child should be evaluated for possible acceleration into a higher grade in math. The rules for calendars are not really that hard to learn, except we don't teach them to students. The fact that he knows them at 6 shows giftedness in math, and also has an excellent memory, maybe a photographic memory. Have you asked him how he comes up with his answers? What does he say? Have you asked him to show you how he comes up with his answers? What does he say? It might be fun to see what his response is, and it might give you some insight, too. I wonder what his parents may have said about him and his ability, as far as math goes. I would have him evaluated for giftedness, using more than one method, if you haven't done so already.

I definitely would NOT have him work on his so-called weaknesses or suggest he is necessarily autistic, as both of these approaches appear to pathologize his giftedness. His type of skill is an example of asychronous development which is typical of the gifted. Student does not sound obsessed, rather, he sounds like he is having a good time. Let us know what happens.

josephineg is offline   Reply With Quote