Help

Gifted Education

Summative project, idea development support needed

>

shanemps

Summative project, idea development support needed
Old 11-07-2010, 07:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi, I teach a grade 4-6 Gifted withdrawal enrichment class one day a week. Our theme for the year is Choice and Sustainability. I have an idea for a final project but am having difficulty figuring out if it is even possible. I am hoping people can make suggestions. My idea is to have students plan, design, and build a model out of recycled material of a sustainable home of the future. I want them to be creative in their design using as many of nature's resources as possible (wind energy, geothermal, water etc). I also want them to be as cost effective as possible, and put together a cost analysis for their home with a rational as to why they made the choices they did. This is my thinking so far. I am not sure if building a model is a reasonable expectation. Suggestions anyone???

shanemps is offline   Reply With Quote

MizBee

Choice and Sustainability
Old 12-13-2010, 07:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

This is an awesome idea for a project!

I think it's reasonable for your students to do a model. I think you would just need to scaffold it... obviously after they learn all about sustainability and the types of energy (they'll definitely want and need to know how exactly each type works), you could have them stech/design/blueprint the house. Then list the materials they'll need. Then discuss how to put it together to make sure it stands...just throwing out steps here.

I would just consider what you want the students to get out of it and then determine if making a model is the most time effective way. Would they get the same out of it if they drew their houses instead of making a model?

In a once a week class, this is an enormous project to take on, but certainly doable and worthwhile! I hope you have a long time to work on it!

All the best!
MizBee is offline   Reply With Quote