2 and 4 day classes overlapping - Advice Please!!! - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Early Childhood Education (Pre-K)

2 and 4 day classes overlapping - Advice Please!!!

>

Lorax

2 and 4 day classes overlapping - Advice Please!!!
Old 01-28-2011, 01:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello everyone,
I have a question for you. I have decided to change my schedule to 4 days a week to give me Mondays off to prepare. I was loosing my weekends with my family preparing for classes. Right now I have a 2 day a week class (T/TH) and a 3 day class (MWF). I don't want to cutout students who can't come a full 4 days, or the ones who's parents would like more days a week, so I was thinking about doing a 2 day or four day, overlapping, program.
However, I'm not sure how to implement this. I think offering classes T/W and TH/F would make the most sense since it keeps continuity for the 4 day kids, and makes it easier for me to do multiple day lessons, but I know the parents would prefer a split schedule (T/TH or W/F). What do you think? Have any of you done this sort of schedule? How did you implement it? I run a theme/project based program and I post my lessons so I can't just leave things open. Any advice would be helpful.
Thanks!!!!

Lorax is offline   Reply With Quote

kiwilemon

Old 01-28-2011, 03:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I wish we could do this at my school! I just have kids picking and choosing which days they want. They also change those when they want. For example they call at 8 to see if Johnny can come that day because they need a break!

My school will not let me do it because they want to accommodate the family. I say we are not doing what is best for the kids though, and the lessons get lost when kids come and go.

I proposed to do what you are proposing where we have a set schedule where they can come 5 days if they want to be full time. Or they could be part of the MTW program, or the ThF program. I explained how lessons are sometimes on going and last several days, but when kids miss a part of that it is hard to catch them up.

I say to just tell the parents what the options are. Tell them because of the way lessons last over more than one day and they build upon each other, you have to do the schedule T, W or Th, F. Once you get through a year of it, the incoming parents will just be told up front and it wont be a problem.
kiwilemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Valone

Old 01-28-2011, 05:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Public school 4K program:

In our school we run a group Monday & Thursday and the other one Tuesday & Friday with my prep & parent contacts on Wed.

I used to have my prep on Mondays with a group, TU/TH & W/F. But I lost so many preps due to holidays.

Children with IEP's often attend 4 days a week. If we have any 3 year olds (IEP's) they attend 4 mornings.

In years we have small groups, I run the program 2 days a week and offer the other two day to children 'at-risk'. It was more of an enrichment program reviewing material.
Valone is offline   Reply With Quote