Help

Gifted Education

themes and units

>

AngieB.

themes and units
Old 06-28-2011, 09:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

After reading buffalo's post below, I was wondering if anyone else had ideas about themes for gifted? It seems this board isn't used as much, probably because they're much fewer gifted teachers than regular ed. teachers. I find it SO hard to come up with units. I teach in an intellectually gifted pull-out program and see my students 5 hours weekly. We have a state mandated list of outcomes, but other than that, we have to create or find our own units. I gave the link to two sites below that I came across. I'd love to know if anyone else has some similar sites to share. I find it difficult to actually "write out" the lesson plans for the units, and it helps to look at others.

AngieB. is offline   Reply With Quote

magoosmom

Old 06-28-2011, 09:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Are you in MS? I teach gifted pullout in MS and it sounds similar. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who finds creating units difficult. I have taught it for 3 years now, teaching 7 different grade levels and it's so frustrating each year to come up with something we haven't done before. I also constantly criticize what I do come up with--is it rigorous enough? Is it challenging? Is it engaging? How am I going to assess it? I've never used so many rubrics in my life .

I will look at your other post and share any links I have to other gifted websites.
magoosmom is offline   Reply With Quote

AngieB.

Old 06-29-2011, 05:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Yes, I'm in MS. We should share ideas!
AngieB. is offline   Reply With Quote

barndancer

Old 07-01-2011, 07:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I teach gifted and talented only one hour a day for grades 2-5. Having only an hour makes it at times more challenging. Would love to hear from other teachers who might have the same short schedule that I do.
barndancer is offline   Reply With Quote

vttraveler

Odyssey of the Mind
Old 07-10-2011, 07:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Are you familiar with Odyssey of the Mind? It is a team problem solving challenge. Do a search and you should find some great brain teasers and tasks that could be a jumping off point for you.

vttraveler is offline   Reply With Quote

DavisGT08

Talented and Gifted Units
Old 10-26-2011, 01:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Here is a link to my class website. On each grade level's page, I've got subpages that link to the units I teach. This may give you a few ideas!

http://www.dcs.edu/webpages/cjustice/

A few I am currently teaching:

• Life at “The Ridge” project (intro to school, scavenger hunt, photography, technology, moviemaker and photostory)
• Multiculturalism (in depth study of a chosen culture)
• Puzzles and Problem Solving (Word and logic puzzles, creative problem solving process, future problem solving, destination imagination)
• Flight: From Kites to Outer Space (historical look at the progression of flight)
• Pirates A’Hoy! (geography, treasure hunts, technology, mapping skills)
• Equipped for Life (life skills, health and nutrition)
• I Wonder? Investigations (scientific inquiry)
• Geometric Design (patterns, tessellations, transformations, string art)
• Orienteering (geocaching, coordinate systems, and geography)
• Drama & Creative Writing (creative thinking, improvisation, skit development) • Dr. Seuss (hidden political agendas and history of select books)
• Kitchen Chemistry (scientific inquiries into reactions between household items)
• Future Philanthropists (service projects to help those in the school and community)
• Intelligent Inventors (history of inventing, explore pet peeves and create an invention prototype to solve the peeve and an advertisement)
• Future City (students are using SIMScity to create virtual cities and will compete in the Future City competition in January)
• Type III projects (students are led through the “Talents Unlimited” program to do an independent study based on their interests)
DavisGT08 is offline   Reply With Quote