Help

Early Childhood Education (Pre-K)

$500-$1000!!! :)

>

mabsab

$500-$1000!!! :)
Old 08-07-2013, 02:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Just found out that I have $500-$1000 to spend on class. She wants my order by next week and has requested it be on one order form (from 1 vendor). What would you get? I teach 16 four yr olds in public school. (All thst comes to mind is a wooden train set and cuisenairre rods, which I don't even know if they can be ordered from same place.
Thanks for any ideas.

mabsab is offline   Reply With Quote

bucket

Order
Old 08-07-2013, 02:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If you are not ordering many consumables, I think I would order from www.lakeshorelearning.com They are a little pricey but have great stuff! That is where I always order from when I splurge.

Some things to look at:
software - they have great educational learning games
math center games
ela materials

If you need a lot of consumables you can try
www.discountschoolsupply.com

That is where I usually buy paint, paper, etc. from. You can get it from Lakeshore too, but it is usually more expensive. I have also purchased learning materials from Discount School Supply, but the quality is hit or miss. Sometimes things are great and hold up really well. Sometimes not so much.

Not knowing if this is a new room or what you might need, I'm not sure what to recommend, but hopefully this will give you a couple of places to look.

Happy Shopping!

P.S. If you don't have any Jack Hartmann cds, make sure to order a few from wherever you place your order!
bucket is offline   Reply With Quote

mabsab

My classroom
Old 08-07-2013, 02:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks. I had thought of Lakeshore. I would love to get technology related items but I have been told that they can not install any sort of projector because I am in the basement of my school.
I actually just ordered lots of consumables at the end of last year. I have most all of the basics.
I'm so excited and thankful to have this opportunity, but seriously drawing a blank. Just looked at a wooden train table and it was inly $150. I dont know if I would even have the space for it though.

bucket

software
Old 08-07-2013, 04:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Do you have student computers? If so, you can use their software on regular computers. You don't have to use an interactive board with them. I use them both ways.
bucket is offline   Reply With Quote

mandamouse123

Old 08-07-2013, 12:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I would buy fat colored pencils, all sorts of manipulatives (counters, bristle blocks, legos, links). And some pocket charts and some of the teacher resource books that have the rhymes all ready to pull out and use. I'd also love some bulletin boards, another easel, and a new rug.

As for trains, I would go for just the wooden tracks and a ton of trains. In my experience, the tables with the tracks already on them become boring too quickly, and the tables really only have one use. I'd rather make multipurpose use of my space, you know?

What about some nice bins/water table for sand and water play?

Also, we go through glue sticks and dry erase markers like there's no tomorrow. Are you sure you don't need any stuff like that?

mandamouse123 is offline   Reply With Quote

mabsab

Good ideas.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Yes, I will look at the software to use on our student computer. AND I definitely think the tracks for the train is the way to go. Dont want to "crowd" the room. Just got a new water table but you are right....can't go wrong with more glue, paper, etc. Maybe some more unusual craft supplies that I hadn't thought of before.

steelcitymom

Old 08-07-2013, 05:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Have you been teaching long?
Some things that come to mind...
puzzles
blocks
puppet show theater
carpet
beanbags
books

Kurtz Bros seems to have everything.
Have fun!
steelcitymom is offline   Reply With Quote

daisykerns

Old 08-07-2013, 06:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Can you place your order from Amazon? then the possiblities would be endless. I would get lots of manipulatives, blocks (legos, bristles, magnetic), something for science (kaleidoscope), oooh, a rug! ( I love mine), A tv and DVD player or laptop, puppets, literacy sets, bilibos, rhythm sticks or ribbons, CD's, lighted table, water table, and on and on and on. Can you tell I would LOVE to have $1000 to spend
daisykerns is offline   Reply With Quote
treetoads

treetoads

Old 08-09-2013, 04:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

get a lakeshore catalog or cuisinaire catalog right away
math manipulatives, individual white boards, puzzles, blocks, magnetic letters, foam letters, paints, brushes, paper and on and on

forkids2

Could you get iPads?
Old 08-11-2013, 10:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Could you get iPads? We have one and the kids love playing learning games and watching learning videos on it. What about Leap Frog or some other electronic learning things? They have some great alphabet and math games and kids love electronic anything.

Stock up on music CDs, things for outside play like parachutes/balls/etc.
Do you need to replace any furniture?

How about big books? I love big books because they are easily seen and you can work on print concepts so easily while reading. They are more expensive than regular books so I don't like buying them myself - I only get them when I have classroom money to spend.

forkids2 is offline   Reply With Quote

California619

Old 08-25-2013, 04:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

You could do different centers like art center, reading center, and maybe a puppet/story time
California619 is offline   Reply With Quote