Help

Early Childhood Education (Pre-K)

2nd year teacher needs help!

>

little_missD

2nd year teacher needs help!
Old 02-05-2014, 06:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

As I am in the middle of my second year teaching, I have watched things improve in some areas but decline in so many. My first year was difficult in that I had to adjust to 3 different administrative changes and a lack of support/mentoring for a new teacher.

To leave out all of the details but get to the bottom line, I have experienced (as well as a few other young teachers, and even teachers I know who have recently retired) administration that is unapproachable/intimidating, very black and white in their views on teaching, and quick to give advice but not lend a hand (it is nice to be told what to do, but if you are unfamiliar with these techniques, it is more helpful for an "expert" to demonstrate). I get the feeling that the administration at times is out to get people and cannot be trusted. It is an uncomfortable situation to go to work and never know if you are on the good list or if you're wanted. And this changes daily. I have considered going back to school to become qualified for another field of work, but I am not sure I am ready to give up teaching altogether. My mom thinks I should try another district but I have friends in many districts in the state who have similar experiences with their administration.

I have considered moving states since it has always been something I wish I could push myself to do anyway. But then I get stuck with the thought that "the grass isn't always greener.." So this is where I ask for any help/advice I can get. Where do you teach and what support to you feel you get from your administration. Do you feel as though you work with people you can trust? Can you go to these people when you feel lost or defeated? If so, WHERE IS THIS?!

Moving states can be a big jump, I just thought hearing what other educators had to say would help to decide if it is worth the risk.

Thanks!

little_missD is offline   Reply With Quote

PatriotsFan3

Old 02-06-2014, 03:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hi! I teach pre-k in NC and I used to feel the same way you do. It was very frustrating, but I just did the best I could each day. Still, I never felt good enough. It was if our administration was looking for cookie cutter teachers to fit their perfect mold (and that was so not realistic with the complex population of students we serve). That went on for years until there were some major changes with people retiring and/or leaving. Now, I couldn't be happier. However, I am planning on moving to a different state because teachers are being treated so poorly in North Carolina and I really want to work for a state that supports teachers in every way.

My advice would be don't give up on teaching because of the people you work with. Don't be afraid to venture out and find a new place. It took me a long time to find happiness within my school. You just have to find a workplace that's right for you. That might be a different school, different county or a different state. Good luck!
PatriotsFan3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ducklady

Old 02-09-2014, 03:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm sorry you are going through some hard times. One thing I always try to remember is, not only am I a teacher, I am learning and if I am not being supported in my learning, I must make a plan to move. You can always move to a new school, city or state but things may be worst than your last position. Don't ever look for perfection because you will always be disappointed.
Ducklady is offline   Reply With Quote

Garden Gal

Old 02-13-2014, 06:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

One small step, when a teacher gives you free advice ask to observe her teaching using that technique. You may have to give up some planning time but if you are a visual learner this may be helpful.
Garden Gal is offline   Reply With Quote