Help

Early Childhood Education (Pre-K)

"Early Head Start"?

>

mabsab

"Early Head Start"?
Old 08-04-2014, 04:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I've applied for a "Early Head Start" position. Has anyone taught this level before? Most of my experience is in Prek (4yr. Olds). Is this toddler age? What are the usual ratios? I'm used to 17-20 with 4 year olds.

mabsab is offline   Reply With Quote

adore2teach

Early Head Start
Old 08-04-2014, 04:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

While I have not actually taught in Early Head Start, I can answer some of the questions. I worked in a center that housed both Head Start and EHS. EHS can have babies from 0-2 years old. Ratios for our state were 4 to 1. You might want to look at your state's licensing rules for exact ratios.
adore2teach is offline   Reply With Quote
Newto3s

Newto3s

Old 08-04-2014, 06:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm not in a head start, but I'm in an early position. In NJ, they call it preschool 1 and 4 year olds are preschool 2. Here, it's only three year olds. No one younger is in a state/boe funded program. Here, it's 15 or less. This might depend on state, too. Here they don't have to potty trained until preschool 2. I started the year with three who were in diapers full time and one who was diapers at night and would have to put one on before nap. While I didn't think much of it at first, because the aide changes them. It can really cut into time. For example, I'm doing small group and the room starts to smell like feces. I'm stuck watching 14 children. Honestly, some children are aware of what they're doing. Like I had one boy who purposely go to the bathroom in a diaper. If he didn't like the activity, was in a bad mood, or didn't like his food. He was not special needs. There's also more playing, even if the children are ready academically. I always pushed my students because I saw potential (and boredom) and I knew what they'd be doing next year. Like for example, if we were talking about apples. A small group I would want to do is have them draw a picture of an apple. Where as, my principal wanted me to cut an apple slice and we explore the apple and possibly eat it. I understand the beginning of the year, but it was too slow paced towards the second marking period and beyond. My coworkers have students who went onto preschool 2 who don't know how to write their names and can't sit and "read" a book. Some of these children (with fall b-days) are four.
Prekteach13

Prekteach13

Old 08-05-2014, 08:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I taught Early Head Start right when I got out of college. I taught for a year. Early Head Start is for children Birth-3. Our headstart center divided children up into 4 classrooms. We had an infant room, 1 year old room, young 2's, and older 2's who often turned 3 before the end of the year. Every classroom had a ratio of 1:4, with a maximum of 8 children.

I loved teaching EHS, and as amazing as it sounds to have 8 children in a room, it's still a lot of work. It's definitely different than having the 18 preschoolers that I do now, but you're dealing more with toilet training, diaper changing, feeding skills, etc.. Our classroom went through ITERS, which is just the infant/toddler version of ECERS, and we had all the same oversight, assessment, evaluation, etc.. that you do in preschool, just at a different level. We worked a lot on language skills and building vocabulary, social skills, and developing fine motor skills. We did some introductory academic skills, but it's definitely not the academic push that preschool is.

If you interview, I would be sure to ask them what age group you would be working with, and if you will have a co-teacher or an assistant. Most of the headstart classrooms in my district have 2 co-teachers instead of a lead and assistant. I would also ask them if it's a year round program, and what the hours are and if parents are offered aftercare.

PPCDTeacher

Old 08-05-2014, 04:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I was an administrator at an early head start for a year and a half and loved it. Ratios are 1:4. Children are enrolled from ages six weeks and age out when they turn three. You Can google your states minimum standards for child care centers to see some of the rules they have to follow.PM me if you have questions.

PPCDTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

mabsab

Sounds great!
Old 08-06-2014, 05:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have to say that it sounds like a great job for me. I've had it with public school and will not be returning to that environment. I'm sure it is a lot of work on EHS even with the small class size but I'm the type of person that loves seeing the kids happy.....not miserable due to testing. The pay was listed and although it is less, it would still work with my budget. I applied online Monday and mailed a letter and a paper copy of my resume and credentials yesterday. The post office said they should receive it by Thursday. I'm very hopeful that I will get an interview. Thanks for the insight.

mabsab

No news....
Old 08-13-2014, 10:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Well, I have been anxiously waiting to get a phone call but have not heard anything. I looked at the job posting again today and noticed that it said the "closing date" on the job listing was August 15.
Does anyone know what that really means? Does it, by any chance mean they wouldn't schedule interviews until after that date? I guess that's what I was hoping but I honestly feel like they aren't interested since it's been a week since I applied.