Help

Substitute Teachers

AESOP Feedback about Substitutes

>

imacacher

AESOP Feedback about Substitutes
Old 10-07-2009, 02:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Help! My first absence of the year, and my first using AESOP was yesterday. One of the supersubs (building sub) was in for me and did a terrible job. I filled out the feedback form...I was assuming my administrators get this info, and not the sub. My colleague (AFTER) I filled it out, said that she thought the subs get it to.

Soooo, substitutes who use AESOP, do you receive the feedback that classroom teacher's fill out about you???

imacacher is offline   Reply With Quote

catarific

Old 10-07-2009, 02:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't have AESOP - but do have a question for you... If you were not there - how would you actually know how well the sub did in your absence? Do you rely on the information from your class - or what was left on your desk, on the sub's report or on what other people might have said? I am not being sarcastic or caustic - just curious to know how a sub can be evaluated from an absent teacher?

Thanks!
catarific is offline   Reply With Quote

blanche46

Wow!
Old 10-07-2009, 02:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We use SmartFinder express...do not know, nor have I ever heard if a teacher even has a section to give feedback?!?!? Would love to hear some good or bad so that I could improve my sub skills...the only feedback we get at our school is another phone call! Anyone know if SmartFinder users ask for feedback???
blanche46 is offline   Reply With Quote

imacacher

Old 10-07-2009, 02:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I was in the building. My plans weren't followed. The sub sat at my desk instead of doing make-up tests or working with a struggling group of students.

We have always evaluated the subs, usually a paper form that goes to our principal, vice principal, and to central administration. The questions are based on the notes left to us and yes, our students' feedback as well.

The AESOP questionairre also takes the students into account and asks if they thought they were treated fairly.

blanche46

Old 10-07-2009, 03:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Even I would consider that a bad sub...I don't think I ever sit down during an assignment...I am always walking around to see if anyone needs help or if they are on task. As for teacher plans I usually try to follow them to the "T' especially knowing they are still in the building. In fact, I would rather have more to do than less it makes me feel more like a teacher and less like a babysitter!

YILuv2Teach

No
Old 10-07-2009, 03:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

No, the subs don't see the teacher feedback.

However, I am curious to know if you get to see the feedback that the sub puts in on aesop?
YILuv2Teach is offline   Reply With Quote

happygal

I've subbed
Old 10-07-2009, 03:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

for about 6 years and in that time have never received any written feedback. I'd like to know when someone thought I did a terrible job so that I could improve. I use Aesop. In the old days people called me, now I deal with a computer and jump for jobs with others, it isn't ideal.
happygal is offline   Reply With Quote

imacacher

Don't know
Old 10-07-2009, 04:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Quote:
However, I am curious to know if you get to see the feedback that the sub puts in on aesop?
This is only my first time being out since we've had AESOP. I can guarantee that this sub won't leave feedback...it was all they could do to actually be in my room all day!

I just feel horrible because I have such a great group of kiddos this year. I saw/heard that they were on their best behavior, and they are always eager to learn. I haven't ever had a group like this, and it was the first time that I had no doubt in my mind that they would be perfect. I feel like this sub just truly wasted their day...and this IS a certified teacher!

yoohoo

Old 10-07-2009, 04:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

we use AESOP and NOPE information only flows one way---to the teacher...sad if you ask me because you don't ever know if you did a good job or not

I mean ireally, if you don't get called back to the class it doesn't really help you improve your skills....
yoohoo is offline   Reply With Quote

blanche46

I know...
Old 10-07-2009, 05:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I just finished a 4 day assignment in kindergarten yesterday, I stopped by today to see if the teacher had any questions about my notes or anything I might have forgotten, just to be nice (and leave a little treat for the kids...they were so cute) and she had NEVER even read my notes & acted like I was intruding (even though I made sure I only stayed for a minute, right as they were returning from lunch). Not even a "Thanks!" That's the kind of feedback I got! Thank goodness I got a hug from some of the kids! Oh well...

Last edited by blanche46; 10-08-2009 at 02:49 AM..

Smiling Sub

Feedback
Old 10-07-2009, 06:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

My district uses AESOP too but I have no idea if the teachers can enter feedback... if they can, we can't see it! I know we can not enter feedback about a teacher. I do know that in some schools (in my district), the teachers fill out an evaluation (on paper) about the subs but we never get to see it. I really wish there was some way to get feedback... I try stopping in the classrooms if I am in the building again within a day or two.
Smiling Sub is offline   Reply With Quote

imacacher

That means a lot
Old 10-08-2009, 02:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Quote:
I try stopping in the classrooms if I am in the building again within a day or two.
We have a group of subs that are regulars in our building (adie from our building subs). I always appreciate when they stop in to tell me how their day was, and to ask what I thought. They are required to fill out a paper form at the end of every day, but I know it gets hectic and they don't always have time to fill out a detailed report. Sooo, that face to face contact is important. It's times like those when I wish that we could request subs.

COSub

Old 10-08-2009, 05:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

In one school I've subbed we subs are given a district email account. I write that at the bottom of my sub report to the teacher or any note I leave. This is my first year subbing and after one particularly awful experience in 7th, the teacher did write me a nice email thanking me for my complete notes on the behavior of her class.

I've also received phone calls from teachers asking me back....I consider that a thank you for past subbing in their classroom.

And I NEVER sit behind the desk while subbing. Yesterday, I subbed for a HS teacher that had a student teacher. The ST taught the lesson and I walked around making sure he was heard.
I always follow the teacher's sub plans...I may not always get them done, or like them but I feel that I'm there to continue the teacher's plans not implement my own. So far I've done a fair amount of teaching (and learning, , advanced Spanish) and not a whole lot of babysitting.
COSub is offline   Reply With Quote

COsub1

Old 10-09-2009, 06:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

COSub,

What school district do you sub for?
COsub1 is offline   Reply With Quote

DRoseA

subbing
Old 10-10-2009, 07:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Our district has been using aesop for about a year. Although I have to rate every day that I sub, I never knew that the teacher gets to rate me as well. I've never received any feedback from subbing.
DRoseA is offline   Reply With Quote

COSub

Old 10-11-2009, 02:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I sub in D-11. What about you?
COSub is offline   Reply With Quote

COsub1

Old 10-11-2009, 03:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I sub in St Vrain.
COsub1 is offline   Reply With Quote

viktoriag

Old 10-15-2009, 09:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

This is a sore spot for me. I have not seen any feedback, EVER for a job, well-done or otherwise. The only job I have ever held where I truly have no idea how I'm doing. Most teachers seem happy with me, but like anything else, there have been bad days, and I usually blame the class ::smirk:: but I'm sure that others might not agree. Sometimes I wish I had better classroom management skills. Corralling 22 five year olds who have been on the rug too long is not my favorite sub moment.

My first job this year was not very good. I felt that it was partially the teacher's fault because she had not left me very good plans, and the teacher I was supposed to ask just said, "oh, I don't know how she does it," when I went in to ask for her interpretation. Apparently this teacher had thought she was having a friend come in, but I saw the job and scooped it up, and she had spoken on the phone to this friend. I had to decode her abbreviated plans and figure out what to do. This was in K, where you can't afford a moment's hesitation.

Day two was better than day one, because I figured out that if I just acted like a fool and spoke in character voices, I'd actually have their undivided attention for as long as my throat would hold up that way. So that was helpful.

But at the end of that assignment, I didn't dare enter any feedback! I mean, what do I say, "never want to go back there!" ?? I exaggerate a bit, but my point is, if I had rated this negatively, wouldn't that have reflected badly on ME? So I let it go, rated all the good jobs as good, and finally it stopped asking for feedback on those two days.

I am surprised that it seems that teachers who use AESOP can't see the name of the sub coming in for them. Is that true?
viktoriag is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 10-20-2009, 08:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I've never seen anything. I know it asks me for feedback on my day, but I'm not sure where it goes, or if those stars are being read as my feelings on the teacher's plans, the students' behavior, or just my overall day. I usually write "left on teacher's desk" in the notes section, as I always leave a paper note. I'll have to look and see if there is a "read feedback" section.
Lakeside is online now   Reply With Quote
eazy555

eazy555

feedback
Old 11-09-2009, 09:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

In the tutorial video they do talk about subs clicking on a "view feedback" icon in the left menu. However, I have never seen this, i think it only comes up when they leave it though. In my opinion...no news is good news.
Joann811

Joann811

Subs CAN see feedback
Old 05-05-2010, 04:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I have been subbing for about 6 months. Up until two weeks ago, I have been able to see the teachers' feedback. I could view the rating in stars, answers to AESOP questions and additional comments. I had very good feedback and probably about 10 feedbacks out of the dozens of teachers I have subbed for.
Joann811

Joann811

One more thing
Old 05-05-2010, 04:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

Also, I could always view it without leaving any feedback. I have let only 2 feedbacks and that was in my first month.
anthony1

anthony1

Re:
Old 03-03-2011, 02:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

It would depend on the district policy. Some Aesop features are disabled/enabled by district choice. I know teachers are able to rate substitutes, but I cannot see my rating. (my friend who is a teacher can though :P)
Fred Schultz

Fred Schultz

Aesop doesn't work
Old 08-31-2011, 06:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

I have been working around AESOP for many years. Time and time again- whenever clerical ease runs against what's best for the kids- clerical ease wins. ALWAYS.

I am qualified in Spanish (almost fluent) and Chemistry and upper Math. I am often requested. There are two subs in our system that speak Spanish. If the Spanish teacher posts her request for me or the other teacher at two in the afternoon- and both of us don't get to our computers until 6:00- the position is filled with a teacher who speaks no Spanish.

Not good for the teacher, certainly not good for the kids but fine with AESOP whose main requirement is a warm body. In the good old days, the Spanish teacher would call the administrator, the administrator would call me in class and ask if I was free the next day. Now, the administration is in the dark.

With teachers out frequently and kids absent even more frequently- EVERY DAY COUNTS. There can't be lost days.

AESOP and Subfinder does what principals used to do- and still should. They should know who and what is coming into their classes at all times- asses the ability and put the right sub in the best room. The good ones regard this is an integral part of their job- the bad ones don't care. It's as simple as that.

Another educational step in the wrong direction. The people who work with AESOP far too often end up serving the needs of the software- when it clearly should be the other way around.

Don't for one second buy the lie that AESOP serves the best interest of the kids, because it doesn't.

Fred
elem. teacher

elem. teacher

feeback
Old 10-22-2017, 04:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

Your coworkers often know how the day went because they can see into the classroom, hear the class, and interact with the sub before school, during lunch, and whenever the sub has questions. Sometimes I can trust the feedback of my trustworthy students, but I don't usually take too much of what they say to heart, unless it seems really serious. One year, I had a sub say several very insulting things to my students, like "You're a crybaby" and "Shut up," among other things reported to me. This isn't normal and my students all corroborated the story. This raised a red flag for me.
Aquagirl1957

Aquagirl1957

Response to Aesop lack of transparency
Old 04-27-2018, 05:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

This is a due process issue according to my attorney. Substitutes are treated unfairly with this rating system. The teacher has NO CLUE as to what really went on and some of the teacher posts are clueless as to what their perfect little kiddos are up to when the cat's away. Just sayin'. Frontline is in for a heap of trouble if someone feels so inclined to push it. I cannot see my ratings at all unless I have a teacher friend check for me. However, if I should in return give a negative rating, I would not be working. End of story. Very unfair. There is no union representation for substitutes in many districts and so it seems that substitutes can be treated in the most soul-crushing of ways by the front office and staff members. They are the Great Ozzes behind the computer screen moving people about at whim. I feel sorry for any "guest teacher" in Southern Oregon. They are treated like garbage. Having a license is no protection. You are seen as a second-class citizen and quite honestly the teachers are behind much of this. Sad.

Nietzsche

Aesop feedback
Old 04-28-2018, 11:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

I stopped a few years ago from giving ratings to teachers. There is no benefit to me in rating my experience.

I'm not even sure what districts rate me on Aesop. With some, you can't see the teacher's rating even if you have rated them.

I had a negative experience last year with a teacher and the Aesop rating system. I had left a message that a boy was being bullied. I had even tried to follow-up with the assistant principal. I noticed a couple of months later that the teacher wrote some false things on the Aesop feedback about what had occurred that day. She accused me of not reporting several "incidents" that did not occur like that things were missing and broken from behind her desk. The boy later told me that this teacher was very mean to him so I think she may have been retaliating to my report of bullying. I refused to sub for her again.
Nietzsche is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Second class citizens? Yep.
Old 04-29-2018, 08:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

Quote:
This is a due process issue according to my attorney. Substitutes are treated unfairly with this rating system. The teacher has NO CLUE as to what really went on and some of the teacher posts are clueless as to what their perfect little kiddos are up to when the cat's away. Just sayin'. Frontline is in for a heap of trouble if someone feels so inclined to push it. I cannot see my ratings at all unless I have a teacher friend check for me. However, if I should in return give a negative rating, I would not be working. End of story. Very unfair. There is no union representation for substitutes in many districts and so it seems that substitutes can be treated in the most soul-crushing of ways by the front office and staff members. They are the Great Ozzes behind the computer screen moving people about at whim. I feel sorry for any "guest teacher" in Southern Oregon. They are treated like garbage. Having a license is no protection. You are seen as a second-class citizen and quite honestly the teachers are behind much of this. Sad.
Aquagirl1957: I don't live in Oregon, but this post resonates with me as well. For most subs, there is NO fairness or transparency, none (just read many of the posts on this forum). I've subbed for 2 years in 4 different districts, and I've NEVER seen or given an evaluation. However, I HAVE been notified of negative evaluations and told by HR that I cannot see my records even though it impacted my employment. How can this be in a country that supposedly guarantees "justice for all"? (Don't we have the children repeat that every morning in the Pledge of Allegiance?)

If AESOP or SMARTFIND include "rating systems" where other staff rate subs, but the feedback is not made available to subs themselves, how are substitute teachers to learn and improve or (if need be) address incorrect allegations?

Fortunately, a district I now work with has begun to address the serious attrition among subs by trying to remedy this problem. HR at least notifies subs if there's been a negative report. Then the sub can make an appointment and talk to HR and file a response to the allegation. I did this recently and HR admitted that subs get reported for some ridiculously petty things (such as drinking someone's Coke). And asking the students for feedback on the sub? Seriously?

I had one little first grade boy confide in me recently that his teacher asked the class for feedback on me. He said some said I was "rude" but others said I was "nice." (I can bet I know who voted which way too.) Unless the teachers actually observe the sub, why should they be empowered to jeopardize the sub's employment with a negative evaluation? It's ludicrous.

I agree that until someone decides to address this via litigation, it will continue. Right now, subs vote with their feet and find another job. No wonder there's a shortage of substitute teachers!
luv2teach2017 is online now   Reply With Quote

dietcoke99

Stop the Drama
Old 09-24-2018, 01:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

The answer to this dilemma is to simply not have that sub again. Put him/her on your excluded list and that is it! No drama, no screaming, no yelling, no gossiping about this "horrible" person. No drama in chat rooms, etc.

That's it. Easy at that.

I believe that the district, individually, sets up who can see feedback and who can't. I, like the others, would like to see it because if I every received anything remotely negative I would, simply, once again, quietly not sub for that teacher again. If I didn't do everything right, maybe the next one he/she finds will - but it wouldn't be me. Easy as that.

I have enough choices that I'm not that desperate.

I have been both a teacher AND a sub, so I think I have more experience than most.
dietcoke99 is offline   Reply With Quote

dietcoke99

Feedback
Old 09-24-2018, 01:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

I was a teacher for 10 years and I never once received any feedback from a sub. I assumed that the sub was receiving the feedback *I* left, but now I'm not so sure since I've read the posts here.

I honestly never even thought that the sub could leave feedback for me.

dietcoke99

Oops- this is what I was replying to
Old 09-24-2018, 02:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

Sorry. This is the message I was replying to in #29 (and the previous rants from this poster) - I assumed that the message you were replying to would be given in the response...

"I was in the building. My plans weren't followed. The sub sat at my desk instead of doing make-up tests or working with a struggling group of students. We have always evaluated the subs, usually a paper form that goes to our principal, vice principal, and to central administration. The questions are based on the notes left to us and yes, our students' feedback as well. The AESOP questionairre also takes the students into account and asks if they thought they were treated fairly."