Help

Early Childhood Education (Pre-K)

"All About Me" ideas for a new teacher?

>

love2teache

"All About Me" ideas for a new teacher?
Old 08-30-2008, 01:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi everyone! This Tuesday will be my first day as a pre-K teacher. For the past 2 years I have been substitute teaching and student teaching in K-5 classrooms in a public school setting. Due to the lack of teaching jobs on Long Island, I have accepted a pre-K teaching job in a small private school. There are 6 kids in my class, most of whom have attented the school for years.

The theme for the first week is "All About Me", which will give the students a chance to share things about themselves and their families. I have done a Google search, but haven't really had much luck, mostly because these children already know each other! Does anyone have ideas that I can use???

Thanks in advance!

love2teache is offline   Reply With Quote

vic

All About Me
Old 08-30-2008, 02:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It is hard when all the kids know each other. I have used a small paper bag and let the kids bring in a small item from home that fits in the bag. They have to give 3 clues about what is in the bag and the other kids try to guess what is inside. The parents will help write the clues. I have also had the kids bring in baby pictures and we put them up on a board and the others try to guess who is who.

Maybe have them draw a picture of some fun things that they did over the summer and then you could write about it and make a book about it "All About our Friends or something. I would also still have them bring in a few pictures of themselves, family and favorite things. Also have the parents come in to share a favorite book of the families or eat lunch with the child. Good luck in your new position.
vic is offline   Reply With Quote

happytosub

Old 08-30-2008, 03:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have found all these ideas on other sites:
1. I'm going to have a mirror in a box and tell them that I have something very special for them to see. Each looks in the box but doesn't tell the others what he/she sees.
2. I'm going to trace them on butcher block and have them draw their faces, clothes, etc.
3. They will trace over their name in crayon and then water color over the whole page so their name will stand out.
4. Start making the All About Me Book (free on childcareland.com)

Last edited by happytosub; 08-30-2008 at 03:28 PM.. Reason: one more idea
happytosub is offline   Reply With Quote

love2teache

Thanks
Old 08-30-2008, 06:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks for those ideas! I definitely can't wait to try them out!
love2teache is offline   Reply With Quote
jensgrumpy

jensgrumpy

preschool teacher
Old 09-08-2008, 05:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you as well..I am a first year preschool teacher and am in the same boat to start class tomorrow....(with no real plan but the theme)this was helpful