Gifted Education

Teaching Bloom's

>

2nd in TX

Teaching Bloom's
Old 01-11-2009, 10:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hey all!
I was wondering how you teach Bloom's. I know you really teach it EVERY day, but do you have any great lessons to introduce it?
Thanks!

2nd in TX is offline   Reply With Quote

yesteach

I don't "teach Bloom's"
Old 01-11-2009, 05:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I honestly don't see a point in teaching it to my students - I just teach and question at a very high level and they learn to think and question at that level... I never use the term "Bloom's"... but then I was never one to worry about labels on things.

I had a principal one time tell me that I was great at asking critical thinking questions - I had no idea what a critical thinking question was at the time... when I told her I had no idea what she was talking about, she said probably it was just natural, that I didn't know any other way to ask questions... I couldn't believe that other people didn't question like that...

Why would you teach Bloom's hierarchy to kids in the first place (just out of curiosity...)
yesteach is offline   Reply With Quote

2nd in TX

Thank you!
Old 01-11-2009, 07:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks for your response, YesTeach! I wanted to teach Bloom's so that while my students are working on their independent projects, we can have that discussion of what level their project is, and what level it needs to be. I like giving them the terms so students understand and have an academic name for the type of thinking that they should be reaching as gifted children, and I know they can handle it. I want them to be able to differentiate between the levels so they can really distinguish when they are using higher level thinking.

janiebird19

Gerfuls
Old 01-12-2009, 12:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

This is a program I used in a previous district. It introduced an imaginary class pet called a Gerful and went through each type of thinking in Bloom's. I am afraid I don't recall who published it and it was so many years ago that it might be out of print.
janiebird19 is offline   Reply With Quote

yesteach

I googled the gerfuls
Old 01-12-2009, 04:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

That almost sounds indecent.. .

I found several websites where teachers used this... but no where that really explained it (what it was, where to buy the books/lessons, etc.) It does sound like a good way to teach the levels from what I could find online.

I did finally find the name of the book:
Gerfuls: A creative approach for teaching higher level thinking skills by Cheryl Myers.

yesteach is offline   Reply With Quote

2nd in TX

Thank you, thank you!
Old 01-16-2009, 08:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thank you everyone! These are great ideas, I think I will incorporate many of these in the upcoming year

MizBee

Teaching Bloom's-- So much reward
Old 01-28-2009, 08:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I know you already thanked everyone, but i want to tell you that i think it is a GREAT IDEA to teach your gt kids how to use bloom's taxonomy. I did so at the beginning of the year, and they took off with it... all ages. I can have them create their own questions about text and they have really high level discussions. When they are working on projects, I can ask, "How do you think we can bring this thinking up to a higher level?" and they can answer me by telling me they should decide which part is most important or that they could compare and contrast this and that and then that and this other thing. It is really awesome. It was only the focus of one or two lessons, but the we reap the benefits every day.

The way I introduced it was by creating questions about a short story on all different levels. I didn't label the questions, but I had small groups order the questions as to which ones required harder thinking and more steps of thinking. Their orders were almost perfectly bloom's taxonomy. Then I explained that some questions require more thinking, and i explained each step as i put them on a classroom chart. The chart uses kid-friendly vocabulary as well as the words adults use, and i find that students use both sets of terms. For example, Analysis--Take it a part, Synthesis-Create it, Evaluation- judge it. These kid words came from another source, but i can't remember where. I can reference our classroom chart any time, and the children know what I'm talking out.

Great ideas above, as well! I enjoyed reading this thread.

I wish you so much luck with this!
MizBee is offline   Reply With Quote