Help

Gifted Education

Starting a new position

>

cptjway

Starting a new position
Old 06-16-2009, 09:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I will be a gifted resource teacher in the fall. Please, can you tell me the "must haves"? Professional books, games, programs? My school is going to take a new direction, toward a Renzulli model. The only thing I know is Interact simulations.

My gifted classes were great for theory and instructional strategies, but no help for the day-to-day work. TIA!

cptjway is offline   Reply With Quote

LVE2TEACH

same boat
Old 07-21-2009, 08:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I was just hired to be the new gifted teacher for fourth grade in a new school district as well. I am completely in the dark as to what to expect, so I did some of my own research to begin the learning process. I would recommend going on Amazon.com and search for books on gifted ed. I found three that I'm enjoying reading. There are plenty of professional development books that will guide you in the direction you're looking for. Hope this helps!

Good luck. If you hear of any other good ideas, please pass them along!
LVE2TEACH is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsBaldwin

Me too!
Old 07-31-2009, 08:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Hi! I am in the exact same situation! I am changing grades (kindergarten to a full time 4th grade gifted class) and also changing counties! It's a bit crazy, huh? I also went on Amazon and found a few books, but have not yet had a chance to read them. I also found a ton of useful information browsing through the blogs posted on proteacher!

I can tell you that the web-based Renzulli program is absolutely amazing! My previous county had it available for all students. I had several of my kindergarteners take the survey in order to be presented with enrichment websites based on their interests. Some of the things that they were able to do were incredible!

Good luck!
MrsBaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote