Subfinder Question: When is the best time? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Substitute Teachers

Subfinder Question: When is the best time?

>

RadSub19

Subfinder Question: When is the best time?
Old 09-30-2009, 10:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I just signed up to sub at a district uses an automatic "Subfinder" system. I can call into the system OR they can call me and I'll get an automated response system for available jobs.

I want to shop for a job for tomorrow. Is there a "best time" to call the Subfinder to find a job?

For example, I got up this morning around 7 and called to see if any jobs were available for today...nothing:-/ I was thinking of calling right after school gets out to see if any jobs were available tomorrow.

any advice?

RadSub19 is offline   Reply With Quote

thordau4

Old 09-30-2009, 10:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think most jobs are filled by 7! I wake up at 5 and check. Teachers post jobs during their planning time also, so I check in the early afternoon also.
thordau4 is offline   Reply With Quote

grav_def

Old 09-30-2009, 10:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Someone told me that around dinner time is a good time.

Personally, I've found that it's VERY difficult to accept a job--even if it's listed, they won't let you take it--during any times when outgoing calls are happening.

ETA: But I didn't have that problem to the same extent when I've used Subfinder elsewhere, so maybe there's just some kind of glitch in the way the districts I work for now have it set up.
grav_def is offline   Reply With Quote

RadSub19

oh god...
Old 09-30-2009, 11:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

5 am! :-O I'll try that tomorrow morning!

I tried around 1pm and again at 230 and again at 330 when I saw the busses rolling by my house. I will definitely try from 6-7 pm also.
Thanks for the advice

I've learned that I'm REALLY not a morning person after subbing for 3 years. :-/

kalexias

Sub in GA using Subfinder
Old 09-30-2009, 12:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

In the last three weeks I've snagged 6 jobs off Subfinder. Half I found around 5ish AM and the others in the afternoon. I can see jobs during the day from time to time but if they show up in morning or evening calling hours I have trouble trying to accept them. I usually get a message that the job is being reviewed by another user.

kalexias is offline   Reply With Quote

MsRLuvs2Teach

try the other extreme...
Old 09-30-2009, 02:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I've found jobs very early in the morning but also very late at night. My friend once told me she used to get all of her jobs between 11-1am and it has worked for me, too. The subfinder stops calling after 9 or 10pm and doesn't start again until 5:30am so in between those times, brand new jobs show up. I stopped doing that though. I'm far too tired in the morning
MsRLuvs2Teach is offline   Reply With Quote

RadSub19

another question...
Old 09-30-2009, 03:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

does it keep track of how many times you call?
I've tried at least 20 times today!!!

I will definitely try more past 11pm:-) 5 am is just way too early especially since most of the elementary schools in the district start at 835am. I live within 5 minutes of most elementary schools so I'm going to take advantage and get the maximum amount of sleep before I have to get up. Once I'm up....I can't go back to sleep. Waking up at 5 am is not an option for me. By noon I'd be dead.

thordau4

also check at "odd times"
Old 10-02-2009, 07:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I've gotten assignments at 'odd times' too, like Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning, when people who have a life are doing something.
Also, a friend of mine who subs has a blackberry that she uses and refreshes AESOP constantly.
On a day when I am not working I pick up jobs during the day. I'm sure those are the jobs my friend gets with her blackberry in the odd moments during the day. She only does HS, so I guess she needs the extra vigilance! However, I have thought about that route.
thordau4 is offline   Reply With Quote

subopolis

Old 10-02-2009, 03:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I hear you on the calling 20 times thing. I've definitely done that - many times. And if I'm anywhere near a computer, I'll hit "refresh" about once a minute. For a few hours at a time.

Having, er, a lot of experience with the refresh thing, I can safely say that I've found absolutely no pattern as to when jobs will be available. I've picked them up at very odd times and on odd days. I also can't figure out when the system gives up on people picking up jobs electronically and starts auto-calling.

That said, I pick up very few jobs this way. The vast majority of my jobs are by request.

Definitely frustrating if you're trying to fill the odd day here and there!
subopolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Eric7100

Eric7100

Auto Refresher
Old 10-02-2009, 07:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Wow! Why don't you just invest in an auto-refresher program? Or, better yet, an auto-accept program? Works like a charm!

SraC

SraC

here in NJ
Old 10-09-2009, 03:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

If I want to get jobs they appear exactly at 4 am. for half days, around 10:30am online,
I never ever have found a job over the phone, they either call me or I go to subfinder.
same, subfinder online does not show jobs during the afternoon or night, don't know why?

COsub1

Old 10-17-2009, 03:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Is their an auto-accept program for Subfinder?
COsub1 is offline   Reply With Quote

kjuda

Morning person?? ROFLOL...
Old 10-19-2009, 09:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Never have been, never will be. That's why God made coffee!
kjuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Barb38

Barb38

Old 11-05-2009, 06:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Do you know of a refresher program that works with subfinder. Any I have tried just log me off while it refreshes.

Geohnny

Refreshing subfinder
Old 11-24-2009, 07:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I see no one answered Barb38's question about subfinder... I've been wondering the same thing... is there an auto-refresh program/addon/method that works with subfinder? I have one (check4change) that I use with Aesop, but that doesn't work with subfinder. If anyone out there knows of a way to auto-refresh subfinder, that would be great!
Geohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Dawndcm sub

Dawndcm sub

Dawndcm subfinder
Old 10-27-2010, 07:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Good morning Eric7100. Please let us know if you have found an auto-refresh program that works with subfinder. PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPLLLLLLLLLLLL LLLLEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSEE EEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!
Jeanny

Jeanny

re: SubFinder auto-refresh
Old 02-08-2011, 05:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I started using a service from subalerts.com that gives me audio, email & text alerts about 5 seconds after a new job is posted. It doesn't automatically accept the job for me, but I usually am able to get the job within 15-30 seconds of it being posted. I used to only work 2-3 days a week, but am now averaging 4.5 days per week. It works really well for me, and paid for itself in one day. I like that there are no monthly charges, just a one-time setup fee.

Hope this helps,

Jeanny