Help

Substitute Teachers

Tell me your rules/consequences

>

beanie

Tell me your rules/consequences
Old 09-30-2009, 05:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I sub K-5. Most rooms do not have rules posted. I can't believe it. I need to come up with rules and consequences. Could you share? Thank you.
As far as consequences go, I don't feel comfortable having kids put their heads down.
I also don't like putting names on the board for bad behavior.
Guess I like the idea of a "think chair" the best.
Not sure if that would work.
What do you use for rules/consequences?
thanks a lot!

beanie is offline   Reply With Quote

math man

Swpb
Old 09-30-2009, 05:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Check out SWPB. Three rules for the whole school (everywhere) then different expectations depending on where you are. BUT all classrooms have the same expecttions. It makes life better. But for a "classroom" consequence, it is up to the teacher.
math man is offline   Reply With Quote

yoohoo

Old 10-01-2009, 03:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

it depends ono the class level:

the older the kids the more likely I'm to put up their names on the board for "loss recess"---I know you don't quite agree but it's been known that if you set one or two as an example the rest will MOST likely fall in line

I've given out class 'free time" ---I put up the word F R E E T I M E on the board and explain to the kids (usually for 4-6 grade) that if I get interupted during a lesson/while I'm speaking/shouting out then I knock off one word until you lose your free time---I give it to them only after they've completed all their work----in subbing for MS it really depends on the class----some classes you don't need to do anything in others you have to put your foot down (you have to feel the classes out)

In MS, I've even kicked a few kids out for extreme disruptive behavior (back talk/foul language/teasing)....these are common sense things (things I let them know at the beginning of class)

In K, I usually try to redirect the kid to another task or if there's ann aide/helper/volunteer they can usually deal with the situation.
yoohoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Kataqueens

It depends on the teacher's instructions
Old 10-01-2009, 05:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Some teachers I've covered for have mentioned in their plans what to do with disruptive students (write down their names, call the AP/dean). I've never sent a student to the principal or dean unless I'm specifically told by an administrator on the phone.

Then again, it hasn't been that bad YET this year; last year I had a class where 5 students were sent to the dean in one period! In the past, I also had to send a student to the dean for slapping me on the hand when I picked up the phone to call the dean (he was suspended, much to the delight of his other teachers who THANKED me). I couldn't kick a student out on my own instruction.
Kataqueens is offline   Reply With Quote
subczy

subczy

wow, no rules posted?
Old 10-01-2009, 09:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Teachers need to be clear on teh rules and have them posted. Geeze.

I'd make a poster to take w/ me to those classrooms. For k-5 it would be...

Raise your hand to: talk

Raise your hand to: get out of your seat

Do not talk when someone else is talking.

consequences: You will get a warning - your name goes on the board.
Then you get a ck by your name and you loose visiting time at the end of the day and get to do homework instead (leave a note for teacher on who has to turn in homework - i usually make it, when I have to, something like writing spelling words 5 times each, etc)
A second check you loose 5 min of recess and a note is left for your teacher
A third check and you got to the office.

Rewards: All those w/o checks by their name at the end of the day will have time to visit with their friends or color at the end fo the day.

I rarely have to use this. Normally Is upport whatever rules are in the room. One thing you could do is ask the kids the rules and create a plan on the board w/ them that everyone agrees to abide by, but of course, that uses a lot of time and if they are rowdy group can be a mess (might work best w/ the littles)

Bertie

Old 10-01-2009, 10:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Paraphrased from a great website I found on PT by Rick Morris

3R Pledge;
I am here to learn.
Today I will
Respect myself by making good choices,
Respect my classmates by treating them kindly, and
Take responsibility for my own actions."
Bertie is offline   Reply With Quote
subczy

subczy

yeah well...
Old 10-01-2009, 05:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have tried something like the 3r. Problem here is if you use the word respect you have to teach it to the class. Here respect to the kids means you don't diss them. So all day long when you address the class to get them to do work you are DISSrespecting them. So many of our kids, yup, even the littles, have gang sort of backgrounds that they truly believe that adults shoudl not be telling them to do anything. So I get very specific about what I want so they know how to keep out of trouble. Sad but true. The respect thing works at the high school level but the others need specifics. *sigh*

red leaf

Swpb?
Old 10-02-2009, 05:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

What does it stand for?
red leaf is offline   Reply With Quote

Augustus

Old 10-03-2009, 11:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I am here to learn."

No, they aren't. Or at least many of them. They are there to get a free breakfast and lunch. Check out the opposite sex. See whats up. See their "homes". Keep up on whats doin this weekend.
If they were truly there to learn then over half of them would not have "F's" from failing to hand in one blessed thing. And of those that think they have applied themselves and got some good grades, they are in for a rude awakening when they go to college and find out that they excelled because they went to a slacker high school.
Augustus is offline   Reply With Quote

kjuda

I'm curious...
Old 10-03-2009, 02:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

It sounds like you've had some pretty bad experiences in schools. Is that the case? If so, I do wonder: why are you spending time as a sub?

I have been teaching for more than 20 years. Yes, there are kids that don't want to be there (at least that's what they want you to think) and those that do. Sadly, the ones who don't want to be there have been failed (and I don't mean failing grades) by teachers who didn't care and a system that passed them along when they began to struggle early on. It was just easier. But those are the kids who NEED for their teachers, and even their subs, to care. To set higher expectations. To support them. We come into this world as curious knowledge-seeking-babies who often have great successes until entering formal education. Slowly, these little curiosity machines begin to fall behind for a variety of reasons. Every day is an opportunity to make small inroads with these kids. To prove them wrong, that not every adult despises them. And yes, subs can have an impact on every child. There is a quote that I kept in a frame on the desk in my classroom that helped me to see each day in this way. I hope that it has meaning for you too. It is by the famous teacher and child psychologist Haim Ginott:

I've come to the frightening conclusion that I am the decisive element in the classroom. It's my daily mood that makes the weather. As a teacher, I possess a tremendous power to make a child's life miserable or joyous. I can be a tool of torture or an instrument of inspiration. I can humiliate or humor, hurt or heal. In all situations, it is my response that decides whether a crisis will be escalated or de-escalated and a child humanized or de-humanized.

kjuda is offline   Reply With Quote

Augustus

Old 10-04-2009, 06:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

why are you spending time as a sub?" Because I enjoy it and I am good at it. I sub everyday. High school and middle. Fifteen years now, I think.
"the ones who don't want to be there have been failed (and I don't mean failing grades) by teachers who didn't care" I have to disagree on this point. In my years of subbing I can't think of more than half a dozen teachers who I didn't think were going the extra mile to help kids. The teachers will stay after school to help anyone who comes in. Few do. They will go to parents homes to have a parent conference. And they don't go alone, it is that kind of situation. NO, it is the parents who are failing the kids, not the teachers. Not the taxpayers. The parents. I routinely deal with some kids who are third generation gangstas. Their parents and their grandparents are in gangs. Oddly enough, I get along well with those students, but it is because I don't push them to do something they have no intention of doing. My deal with them is that they keep it chilled enough so those who want can do some school work. Also oddly enough, these are the students who approach me at the market and ask how I am doing. A few of these kids actually sell drugs and guns. If you think I or you are going to be a decisive force in their lives for the one day subbing, then you are wrong.
"over half of them would not have "F's" from failing to hand in one blessed thing." Do you think I am exaggerating or making that up?
"it is my response that decides whether a crisis will be escalated or de-escalated" Now that I can agree with. And that is why I am called back day after day.
Augustus is offline   Reply With Quote

cc11

Rules
Old 10-05-2009, 04:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I am a substitute as well, one classroom management technique that has been helpful for me in 2nd-5th grade, is to spell the word "SILENT" on the board, As the class gets too loud, I erase a letter(starting from teh "T"...then the "N"...), once the "S" is erased, they are no longer allowed to talk at all for the rest of the period. I have only gotten to "S" once. Also, if you ask the office, they can give you a print out of all the school rules. As far as consequence(s), I usually give three warnings, after the third warning, the students(depending on the grade) lose about two-five minutes of recess. I tell them they can earn it back, minute by minute, which is usually an incentive to be good, so they can have all of their recess.
cc11 is offline   Reply With Quote