Help

Substitute Teachers

New to subbing

>

teacher2

New to subbing
Old 10-03-2009, 12:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have been a teacher for almost ten years and now find myself in the position of needing to sub. I know how to teach, but I am also aware that being the regular classroom teacher has huge advantages over being a sub.

Please share your best tips with me so that I can be a terrific sub. What do you keep in you sub bag? How do you handle various situations with students and other teachers?

I have always cringed when I see teachers post unkind things about subs. I have always left my subs very detailed notes with the option of being flexible if they needed to be. I know there may be times when no notes are left.

Thanks.

teacher2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Melsub

Old 10-04-2009, 08:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Welcome teacher2! I hope you will have some great experiences subbing. It's usually a lot of fun. Most people have a certain age group they like to sub for and that can make things easier for you, if you are more comfortable with that age/grade. There is a thread called 'Sub's bag of supplies' (scroll down on this page) that gives suggestions about what people take with them to sub. You can also search for other threads on discipline, classroom management, etc. It will take some time but is totally worth it!
Melsub is offline   Reply With Quote

thordau4

Old 10-05-2009, 11:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm sure you will do well! Ten years of teaching experience puts you ahead of lots of us! When I started, I had been a para sub for 3 years, but guest teaching is really different! I subbed 7-8 days one spring and then spent the summer reading posts on this forum. I am still learning two years later.
I would like to know what teachers complain about when they gripe about subs. I had a hard time figuring out just what I was expected to do. - like grading papers. I hate leaving a pile for the teacher, but I don't know her grading criteria. If it's something I can put #wrong/over# of ?'s, I will do that. I try to leave everything clean and in order, but beyond that, who knows? Subs aren't really given much direction, or feed-back, unless we make a big mistake.
Is there a "griping about subs" thread on this site? lol!
thordau4 is offline   Reply With Quote