Help

Substitute Teachers

Why is it that....

>

Kataqueens

Why is it that....
Old 10-07-2009, 01:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I can have marvelous classes that are quiet and respectful, but always get the class from hell towards the end of the day?

Today I covered for a Math teacher who was very helpful in leaving me seating charts for all of his classes; the morning classes were surprised/delighted that I knew their name based on their seat. Everything went smooth until the last class of the day; a double period class, of course. Despite the fact that they were awful, they sat in their assigned seats, so I had no problem writing about individual students.

During the first of the two periods, there were supposed to take a practice test. I went over the same routine with each class and asked them what the most important thing about taking a test was; quiet. Unlike the other classes, this one proceeded to call out and ask me for help. Does the word "practice test" mean anything anymore? After telling them twice that the test's purpose was to inform the teacher of their strengths and weaknesses in the material, I gave up. Like someone said in another thread, after you saying something 2X, it needn't be said anymore. I really wish we were allowed to send students out of class here!

Kataqueens is offline   Reply With Quote

lv2read

I can relate!
Old 10-07-2009, 03:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

This is a fabulous question and one that I've asked myself several times this year. The morning classes are mellow and follow procedures and don't seem to mind that there's a "guest teacher". Then lunchtime arrives and chaos follows, "Who are you? What are we doing? I don't get it. Can I go to the bathroom?? What's your name again???"

I would love to ask the substitute oracles this question because it is a baffling one. Perhaps our fellow PTer will have a few suggestions.
lv2read is offline   Reply With Quote

yoohoo

Old 10-07-2009, 04:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

there are clusters basically, where you can get the class from heaven and then get the ones from H#LL.....I've had that happen to me...I was subbing for a 8th grade class and two were fantastic and two were from OMG!!!!

Kids coming in and screaming; yelling; whooping it up and looking at me to see if they will get a reaction to it all.

Now I've been at this school for a while and know where these kids are coming from (this is the inner city school)...when I didn't show any emotion they decided to try another tact---talk aloud across the room; getting up; just plain rude ---now I put my foot down and kicked one kid out of the room ---he had to go stand in the hall---

the others just didn't care---you try and try to keep it under control...and left notes to the teacher about what happened....

the next time I was in that school and got the kids fro another subject they were sooo good for me I was like WOW!!! What happened??? Apparently, the teacher was so mad at the way they treated me that she gave them a quiz of 60 questions to do in 45 minutes!!!!
yoohoo is offline   Reply With Quote

thordau4

Here's my theory.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I think when I have a "good" class, I am less vigilant with the next class and make little "mistakes". I don't focus on projecting firm confidence. I let slip the little details that let them know I am ON THE JOB. It's hard to put into words, but I think that is my "problem". - see my comment about this weeks job in MS. I had a harder time managing them on the 2nd day because I wasn't as vigilant today because the previous day had gone so well.
I need to focus on how I present myself and my capabilities with each new class session.
thordau4 is offline   Reply With Quote