I want a job...

>

Liveformusic

Liveformusic

I want a job...
Old 10-07-2009, 10:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello everyone!

So, I really dislike subbing, for many reasons. Long story short, if I don't sub, am I hurting my chance at getting a job next year? This district is small and I am worried if I don't sub, when a job does open up, they won't want to hire me. What do you guys think? Do I have to sub to get a job or can I find something temporary that is not subbing?

Thanks for your help!!

Liveformusic

Liveformusic

extra
Old 10-07-2009, 10:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I forgot to say that I don't think I am doing very good job, I haven't been getting many call backs. :S

grav_def

Old 10-07-2009, 10:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I really don't know. I wish I did; I've been struggling with the same issue lately. (Except I actually like subbing; I just don't like the poverty and uncertainty that come with it!)

My gut says that yes, subbing is a good way to work towards a permanent job, and therefore not subbing could hurt your chances, especially if the job market stays as tight as it's been. I've also definitely learned a lot from subbing that will be really helpful when (if?) I finally get a classroom. But really...who knows? Sorry I can't be more helpful.
grav_def is offline   Reply With Quote
Liveformusic

Liveformusic

thanks...
Old 10-07-2009, 10:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks for the input anyway! Yeah, I don't know what to do. I think I am going to die of stress from subbing! I like teaching in my own classroom but this subbing business has me freaking out all the time! I just want a job one day. I don't know.

RadSub19

in my opinion...
Old 10-08-2009, 03:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I don't think subbing really gets you any further.

I've been subbing for 3 years and have watched countless people sub for a few months and get hired over me...who had much more knowledge of the school and experience teaching there. They will hire who they like and there really isn't much you can do about it:-/

RadSub19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Kataqueens

I know exactly how you feel
Old 10-08-2009, 05:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I'm a certified teacher with a Master's degree, and it pains me to see inexperienced people such as Teaching Fellows go from an interview to a classroom with only a month's worth of training! There is a hiring freeze here in NYC, but the city managed to hire these TF's to fill positions that could have been filled by those who received extensive training.

But I digress. Given that you live in such a small district, I think that you should stick with subbing for now. It also doesn't hurt to extend yourself to other districts, or go on to Education America site and create an account. Here's the link:

http://my.educationamerica.net/index.phtml
Kataqueens is offline   Reply With Quote
Liveformusic

Liveformusic

Thanks...
Old 10-08-2009, 06:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thanks for all the input! Kataqueens-my town is about 20,000 ppl and the next closest town is about 40 miles away so it is not really an option to sub somewhere else. Thanks for the link! I will check it out. I don't really mind the district. I just hate the unknown of subbing. I just stress so much over it that I am hardly sleeping anymore. I know I should be lucky just to be called but the schools don't have good sub folders and I am left with very little instructions for the class. (Most of the time.) I want to end up teaching in elementary but the Junior High is the only school that calls me. I was just there yesterday and it went horrible. The teacher actually called me to find out what happened. It was art and the class was left in total disaster, it was so bad. I wonder if I am not just hurting myself more by subbing. I don't know, this whole situation and subbing is still pretty new to me. Anyway, I do realize I am being kinda whiny too.

Kataqueens

It's ok to be upset
Old 10-08-2009, 07:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I had one of those days yesterday. The main office threw in an extra class for me to cover for another teacher, and she left zero work! It was a total disaster, and I made sure to leave a note explaining how horrible the class was towards the guest teacher. I don't mind getting to school early and getting acclimated with that teacher's sub plans, but last-minute changes really get my goad, you know? Unfortunately, subs are at the bottom of the barrel and can be given an extra class without any consideration to burning them out.
Kataqueens is offline   Reply With Quote

Suspended

Ball Three

Suspended
Liveformusic
Old 10-08-2009, 10:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

As I read your prior posts I wondered how you could be a good classroom teacher
if you found subbing so hard. Then you said you were doing all your subbing in
Junior High, which explained everything.

My best classroom day ever was in 7th grade, but that was in a K-8 school. I'm
a former marine and an ex-cop, but I no longer sub in Junior High even when it is
the only job available that day. The administrators hide, then blame the sub
when the kids go wild knowing the sub has no backup. It's a miserable situation
which, as you suggest, is doing you more harm than good by damaging both your
morale and your reputation as a teacher. In your place I would bail out pronto.
Ball Three is offline   Reply With Quote

kjuda

Old 10-08-2009, 10:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

6th-8th grade is the WORST age to sub! I'm an experienced teacher who is used to dealing with classroom management, but junior high is miserable. Try to get onto the elementary lists. They may not have you listed properly which may be why you're getting solely jr. high.

Please don't give up now! I agree with Ball Three. It's not necessarily what you are doing (or it could be part of it) but some of us aren't equipped to deal with newly-hormonal youngsters! (I'm at the top of that list!)

Hang in there. As you gain experience as a sub, you will get better. AND I am one who knows that subbing does get you hired into FT jobs. And some of it is being in the right place at the right time. The experiences you have as a sub WILL make you a better teacher. So much of teaching is classroom mgt. So...put on your game face and remember: they are just kids and YOU'RE BIGGER THAN THEY ARE!! <grin>

kjuda is offline   Reply With Quote

thordau4

Old 10-14-2009, 10:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I agree with kjuda: Subbing gets easier as you go. You will probably get more comfortable with it with some experience. I used to really 'white knuckle it' but with experience, I've gotten more confident, more relaxed. Three days a week used to knock me out. Now, in my third year of subbing, I don't get so stressed out.
thordau4 is offline   Reply With Quote
vbjfreek

vbjfreek

6 yrs subbing
Old 08-23-2010, 08:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I agree with you! It will eventually be your turn. This is hard when you've been subbing for 6 yes I said 6 years. I want to work close to home because I have kids and would like to work in their district. I get overlooked because I'm not somebodies daughter, son in law, niece, or I haven't volunteered everyday forever. I am highly requested as a sub and work almost everyday in the district I want to work in full time. I'm giving it 2 more years and then I may have to look at something else. I may even start looking soon. I did have a friend who got hired shortly after he quit subbing. (?)

IMSaved2

Don't give up
Old 08-24-2010, 05:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I've subbed for 3+ years and worked as a Literacy Coach for 4 1/2 years. Just finished a 10 month long-term position and didn't even get called to interview for openings posted in the school district. It's not WHAT you know, but WHO you know. I don't really want to sub, but I don't want to lose my house either, so I'll humble myself and keep on subbing and praying.

Good luck! You are not alone!
IMSaved2 is offline   Reply With Quote