Help

Substitute Teachers

Need advice...what would you do?

>

blanche46

Need advice...what would you do?
Old 10-08-2009, 02:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Got an assignment today for a 6 days in 8th grade science(Fri-Fri)...I was already working for the last day of the assignment so I am working Fri.-Thurs. The class I am working in has a new teacher this year...last year the previous one passed from cancer. I for good or for bad worked his class alot while he was taking Chemo. During that time, I kind of co-taught or helped the other Science teacher with combined classes, so I was never really alone in the class unless we were testing etc. The other science teacher is a really great guy, and taught my own daughter 2 years ago. He is very encouraging, to me, always requested me and even wanted me to take the long term assignment with him last year after the other teacher died (the county wanted someone with a science degree to take over) which I don't have. Well, today after I got booked I ran into him in the hall...and he asked if I had been assigned, I said YES, but now he wants to know if I want to run my own class (on ATOMS) for the next week or work together again. I said I would stop by next week and we could talk but I would do whatever he wanted. I didn't want to say something I would regret. I have not really taught 8th grade science especially a full chapter, but I don't want to sound like I can't handle it if say to work together...any advice? I don't want to let him down!

blanche46 is offline   Reply With Quote

kjuda

Old 10-08-2009, 02:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

He asked and I would jump at the chance! It will make the week go easier, the fact that another teacher (and a man) will be coteaching with you will make everything easier. Also a good opportunity to learn more about teaching science from a science teacher: all are win-wins! Have a great week!
kjuda is offline   Reply With Quote
subczy

subczy

neat
Old 10-09-2009, 06:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'd give it a go. If this is ms and they are well behaved I'd go for it. Give yourself plenty of time to become a miniexpert on that subject so you are very comfortable teaching it. i love to have real lessons to teach and the fun thing about ms is you only have to concentrate (usually) on one subject/lesson each day vs all of them in elem school.

Enjoy it and run w/ it. don't worry about not having a degree. you arent' being asked to prepare them totally for the state science testing...do your best and I am sure you will do fine!

I am jealous!

blanche46

Thanks!
Old 10-09-2009, 07:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

For the advice...he is a really GREAT teacher and I know that even if I take the class myself, this other teacher will be there for any questions...it's just so much easier to work with someone (especially a man) when it comes to middle school...plus if we work together there are no notes in the evening because he knows exactly what was accomplished during the day, and who was bad, etc. But I feel I am being selfish or unwilling if I ask him to combine the classes again. He was in this situation for most of last year, and I think having 5 classes a day(even with sub help) 5 days a week with 50 kids was a little draining so I feel he was just being nice. I thought maybe if I spoke with him first we could maybe compromise and do 3 days together and 3 apart??!?!? Like I said before, I feel very lucky so I don't want to let him down!

Bertie

he asked
Old 10-09-2009, 08:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

You didn't suggest this, he did. It must have worked out fine last time for him to bring it up. There is no question. Do it. Not half and half, do it.

Bertie is offline   Reply With Quote

blanche46

do it..,
Old 10-09-2009, 11:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

with him or alone?