Help

Substitute Teachers

Middle School Surprises....

>

thordau4

Middle School Surprises....
Old 10-08-2009, 02:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I never do MS, because those kids are all hormones and no impulse control... This week I accepted a 2 day job at the HS. When I arrived the secretary said "oh, you start the day at the middle school"....... I tried to act calm, followed directions to the MS......and had a surprisingly good experience. It was just good chemistry or something. It just went well. Some of them remembered me from last year in their 5th grade class. It always helps when they "know" you.
Two teachers took my name and contact info. I left with 2 days booked for later in the month. my my.... I hope I don't regret it. One teacher came in the last 3-4 minutes of class to book me. Interesting. are they desperate, or do they flatter all subs to lure them back..... I guess I will find out.

I gotta say about MS, if you are too friendly, they get happy (loud), If you are too stern, they get loud. The 2nd day, I was happy to see them again and was too friendly. I had to work hard to get them calmed down.

Then I went to the HS for 3 back to back classes in a too-warm room. I actually thought the MS was more fun. Call me crazy.
So, anyone with ideas about managing MS classes?

thordau4 is offline   Reply With Quote

catarific

Old 10-09-2009, 04:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I love middle school - but you are right - if you are too happy - they get loud - not to be mean - they just get excited and their voices raise an octave or two! What I did last year and I am going to go back to it because the kids ask me why I am not doing it anymore - is the rate the best class with smilie faces. Five being the best one being the worst and 3 or 4 in the middle.

I stopped doing it the start of the year since the students are usually pretty well behaved until after the first month or so - so I will get back on track and rate the class - they are so very competitive! It has really worked in the past getting a noisy class calmed down by telling them that if they keep it up - they will be the worst rated of all
catarific is offline   Reply With Quote
subczy

subczy

i love ms
Old 10-09-2009, 06:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

i love ms however, i am VERY particular WHO I will work for. it is essential for a sub to have a teacher who has great classroom mgmt in ms. If they don't it isn't going to be any better for a sub KWIM? I find these kids are great fun and worth a try for any sub. They are still little kids, but are old enough to do detailed work and follow directions (once you get their attention) and that can be a nice change from hs or the littles of elem.

blanche46

Do you...
Old 10-09-2009, 07:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

reward them if they win??? They are competitive but are usually looking for the prize at the end. I actually like when a teacher says they will bring in donuts or something for the class that is the best for the sub...(I get to choose) then they are REALLY good!!!
blanche46 is offline   Reply With Quote

catarific

Old 10-09-2009, 11:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

If I have an assignment for two or more days - than I will bring in a reward for the best class - usually Chocolate kisses or the starburst candies. I love having the multiple day assignments - but it is nice too when the teacher asks the sub to select the best class

catarific is offline   Reply With Quote

Kataqueens

It doesn't depend on the grade
Old 10-17-2009, 12:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

It depends on the combination of students in the classroom. I always find it ironic when I hear other teachers tell me how "lucky" I am to be subbing for 6th grade, and then it turns out that the classes are nightmares. Teachers also tell me how the 7th graders are hyperactive, and the 8th graders are a bit calmer. Where do they get these assumptions from? It depends on the relationships students have with each other and their regular teacher. Same goes for HS, and I've had my share of hyperactive HS classes, too!
Kataqueens is offline   Reply With Quote