Help

Substitute Teachers

Share YOUR Morning Routine w/ Primary..

>

BetterAliens

Share YOUR Morning Routine w/ Primary..
Old 10-11-2009, 01:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What do your first 5-10 minutes look like when in a K-3 room? I've had a few tough assignments the last week and wonder if there is anything I'm missing in the morning to give these kids an idea of what I expect. At times, a game is held over their heads if the day goes smooth. Thanks!

I always talk about what we can do to ensure a good day (i.e. talk about classroom rules, listen to directions, what my attention getter is, ETC) Most of the time, this sets the stage and the day goes as planned well as good as a primary room can go with a sub.

What else can I do to entice?

BetterAliens is offline   Reply With Quote

mstngmom

Give it a try
Old 10-11-2009, 06:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Although, I don't sub elementary very often(usually MS or HS)I have 2 children that are elementary age. I've learned from talking to my son's teacher from last year, that she has a brief class opener. What she did was write something on the smart board such as the date, and then a brief writing prompt below it. When the kids came in she had them get out a piece of paper, or journal, a pencil and then write the writing prompt of the day.
Maybe you could try that.
mstngmom is offline   Reply With Quote
subczy

subczy

fast....
Old 10-13-2009, 03:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

K-3 the first 15 min of the morning I feel like I have been shot out of a cannon. I have learned however that the kids generally know what is expected and need very little direction. They know the morning procedures so all I do is sit back and let them do it. It usually take about 5 min for them to get their stuff put up and be waiting in their seats for me. I wait until everyone is seated to take lunch count (which is usually on a bulletin board or some kind of system) and absentee report. I send the student to the office w/ the info. While I am getting out the first assign I explain who I am and that if we work very hard I will do my best to make usre they have some free time at the end of the day. Then it off to specials or we dive into our first assignment. The morning schedules at our primaries are very very VERY tight. However, if you can keep on schedule in the a.m. there is more wiggle room in the afternoon.

The only time I have had trouble w/ this is when I get a child who doesn't deal well w/ a stranger and was not prepared by the teacher that a sub would be present and they react to me loudly, protesting, confused, upset, etc and are demanding my attention while I am doing those very fast tasks that have to happen the first 10 min of class. I have no choice about those tasks as all our principals expect them done promptly and accurately and so that sometimes means that child has to wait for my undivided attention. After that, things are usually the same in any school. Follow th eplans and keep on the schedule.

Enjoy!