Help

Substitute Teachers

Do they think we're stupid?

>

Kataqueens

Do they think we're stupid?
Old 10-13-2009, 12:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I always get to my assignment early to review the lesson plans and get a feel of the classroom. Today was no different, but after reading over the lesson plans, I got a feeling that the teacher with whom I was covering thought I was an idiot. Here is an example: All of the lessons were written on large sticky white paper; after I was finished with a lesson I was to stick that lesson onto the white board behind the teacher's desk. Other than mentioning this in her plan, she also stuck a post-it note on her desk reminding me to stick them on the white board ( behind the teacher's desk...duh) and then stuck another post-it on a student's desk to "remind the sub to stick the finished lessons on the white board."

WTH?! Some students in her homeroom notified me that she was "too organized," but this goes beyond organized into just plain offensive. Does she REALLY think I'm too stupid to take notice of not one, not two, but three reminders to stick the finished lessons onto the white board?

Last edited by Kataqueens; 10-13-2009 at 12:49 PM.. Reason: wording
Kataqueens is offline   Reply With Quote

neanea

Old 10-13-2009, 01:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Just sounds to me that maybe, in the past, she had substitutes forget to stick the notes on the whiteboard, so she is really stressing that is what she wants done.
neanea is offline   Reply With Quote

yoohoo

Old 10-13-2009, 02:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

have you ever forgotten to do something in the lesson plan? would you be surprised if other subs looked at all those sticky notes and ignored what she wanted???!!!!

Look, she doesn't know you from the other subs that have come through so past experience tells her that you might also forget the sticky notes.

I beleive once you followed thru she'll relax a bit
yoohoo is offline   Reply With Quote

ciounoi

Old 10-13-2009, 04:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I subbed a number of times for a teacher who wrote in her plans (and at a later date reminded me in person when I was subbing for a neighboring teacher) YOU ARE ASSIGNED UNTIL 330 SO DO NOT LEAVE THE BUILDING UNTIL 330. I was a little insulted... dude, I've been subbing for a while, I know the times! I guess she must have had a bad experience somewhere along the line. However, it annoyed me... I left the building at 329 and felt better. O:-)
ciounoi is offline   Reply With Quote

Nuclear Sub

Old 10-13-2009, 04:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Kataqueens,

You shouldn't have to be the teacher's punching bag for the mistakes of other subs.

Anyone who requires such ludicrous micromanagement to do their job properly should not be subbing, and anyone who dispenses such micromanagement should not be managing others.

Nuclear Sub is offline   Reply With Quote

Nuclear Sub

Old 10-13-2009, 04:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Then again, maybe the teacher had anal retentive or obsessive-compulsive issues.

Seriously.
Nuclear Sub is offline   Reply With Quote

kjuda

Old 10-14-2009, 06:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Actually, I'd rather they OVER explain than just say "teach them about subject and predicate" and not give you any materials or any idea of what they already know or what was covered last!

Or, like a class two weeks ago where the 5 line note the teacher left required me to go on a scavenger hunt around the room to find the materials that I'd need. No exaggeration, I had to go to 12 different places all over the room to get what I needed for the LA block in the morning.

But...to answer your question: YUP, some of them do think we're stupid! The others must think we're Superman/Superwoman!
kjuda is offline   Reply With Quote

abc1234evr

Don't think you are stupid..
Old 10-14-2009, 06:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I have had subs in the past not do the work that I had laid out for them to do...don't understand why but it does happen...I am a post it note person to...but I also do that for myself...

I don't believe that she did go overboard on the reminders however....

sorry you had a bad experience because when you get a good sub you want to have them back....

Last edited by abc1234evr; 10-14-2009 at 06:52 AM.. Reason: wrong word
abc1234evr is offline   Reply With Quote

abc1234evr

meant to say
Old 10-14-2009, 06:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I meant to say I do believe she went overboard on the reminders...sorry
abc1234evr is offline   Reply With Quote
subczy

subczy

ciounoi...
Old 10-14-2009, 07:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

the past two years we have had one sub who leaves whenever she feels like it. Once she actually left, WALKING to go buy candy for the kids at the local grocery store. Even driving to taht store she'd not have been able to make it there and back in the 20 min they were in gym. go figure. If it wasn't for the aide stopping by the room, no one would have known (at least until chaos reined) that there was no teacher in that room!!!

thordau4

Old 10-14-2009, 08:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I would rather have too much information. I can sort through too much to find what I need.
One day this week, I subbed for a teacher who apparently got sick suddenly.
Plans looked something like this:

10:00-11:00 ssr
1100-12-00 Harcort
1:00-2:00 lesson 1.2

etc!

The neighbor teacher helped me figure it out, but I would rather have TMI!!

Last edited by thordau4; 10-14-2009 at 10:50 AM..
thordau4 is offline   Reply With Quote

kjuda

Old 10-14-2009, 08:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

That is my nightmare!! roflol....I had one of those the first week I subbed. I was almost in tears before the day began as there were no other teachers around due to a morning staff meeting. Can you say "punt"?
kjuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Hermione_S

Hermione_S

Can't figure out what she was getting at
Old 10-17-2009, 07:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I always get to my assignment early to review the lesson plans and get a feel of the classroom. Today was no different, but after reading over the lesson plans, I got a feeling that the teacher with whom I was covering thought I was an idiot.

Did this teacher meet you in person or have experience with you in the past? If not, how could she think you are an idiot? Or do you mean that her notes made you feel like she was assuming you are an idiot?

Here is an example: All of the lessons were written on large sticky white paper; after I was finished with a lesson I was to stick that lesson onto the white board behind the teacher's desk. Other than mentioning this in her plan, she also stuck a post-it note on her desk reminding me to stick them on the white board ( behind the teacher's desk...duh) and then stuck another post-it on a student's desk to "remind the sub to stick the finished lessons on the white board."

I wonder why this teacher would want you to group the completed sticky notes for each lesson in a different place after you had completed that lesson. This would be something I would think of doing for my own personal organization purposes but I wouldn't expect the teacher to come up with her own organizational method for me. Did she think that having you do so would force you to do every lesson without skipping everything?
Can't figure it out. I need more info.

Lesson plans left for a sub, and our opinions of them vary greatly. I like the ones that are graphically manageable.

Hermione

cvt

sub plan
Old 10-17-2009, 07:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Cionunoi: "YOU ARE ASSIGNED UNTIL 330 SO DO NOT LEAVE THE BUILDING UNTIL 330."

That could have come from my lesson plan a few years ago. We had a principal at that time that made every teacher put that in their sub plans. She was a micro manager who made sure everyone, including subs, put in exactly the number of hours (and minutes) that they were paid for. I tried to cushion it in a little bit nicer language, but had to put it in, since she would randomly check subplans.

Kataqueens: I understand that you might be offended, but that teacher probably had poor experiences with subs. I have had times where I would be completely frustrated because a sub did not do anything that was in my lesson plans. Just chill, and remember that teachers are human beings too.

Last edited by cvt; 10-17-2009 at 10:18 AM.. Reason: typo
cvt is online now   Reply With Quote

Kataqueens

Old 10-17-2009, 11:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I'm all for organized sub plans, but I am not for excessive reminders.

Just a refresher:

#1 Written in lesson plan that I should stick used lesson plans onto white board behind the desk. This is fine, since it's written in the notes and the only person who wouldn't be able to follow this would be someone who doesn't read lesson/sub plans. If someone doesn't read sub plans, what are they doing there in the first place?

#2- First reminder written as a post-it on teacher's desk. This is fine, too, considering the fact that in all of the hectic rushing between the classes, I may have forgotten the teacher's specific instructions.

#3- Second reminder written as a post-it on student's desk to "remind sub."
That's where I draw the line between micromanaging and insulting the guest teacher's intelligence. And that is exactly what happened, and why I wrote about it on here. In retrospect, I should have written a post-it note with a smiley face that explained I knew what to do after the first reminder (smiley face to indicate no hard feelings) but at the time I wanted to play it cool and not make a big deal about it. It's only once I got home that I REALLY started to get annoyed.
Kataqueens is offline   Reply With Quote