Substitute Teachers

Ah, the little ones...

>

subczy

subczy

Ah, the little ones...
Old 10-14-2009, 02:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

After spending most of this year with jr high kids and older today I got placed in kindy after my other job got cancelled. They were a great group. The room was organized and so were the plans. It was so much fun. And then....

We got to a particular lesson. I followed the script (what you say is all written for you) and it was making NO sense at ALL to the kids. (Many are barely english speakers). So we watched the accompanying video to it and they seemed to make sense of that so I tried the lesson again and it failed. *sigh* I had 30 min to fill, and aid in teh room for help and everything (she was no help on the lesson tho) so gosh darn it I did a terrible thing. We went and read the longest story I could find then drew and colored a picture about the subject. The kids really enjoyed the little art lesson but it really did feel like a waste of time.

I left the teacher a note stating she may want to reteach the lesson as it didn't go well and wasn't making sense to them so I cut it short. I hope she isn't too upset. Everything else we did went GREAT. Too bad they don't give us some feedback. I did leave my number and email in case she has any questions along w/ a detailed note.

This every happen to anyone w/ such a young group? I guess it just stumped me. It felt a lot like teaching ESL or something as they had no context or reference for the thing we were learning and it was like it didn't mean anything to them so while they could repeat what I said they coudln't USE the info in any way shape or form. *sigh* Oh well, I tried.

kjuda

Curious!
Old 10-14-2009, 03:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

What was the lesson about? I wouldn't be concerned that you 'wasted' time. In Kindergarten, EVERYTHING you do has value, even if it is just that they are following your directions, thinking about the main idea of the story and 'interpreting' the story through their artwork. You did fine!

But, do tell what this mysterious lesson was about! <grin>
kjuda is offline   Reply With Quote
subczy

subczy

well...
Old 10-15-2009, 05:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

it seems so silly to say it was on the letter H b/c that seems so EASY, but it wasn't. sure, they could say it, and they got that it went w/ the written letter, but the rest of the script i was having to follow was not making any sense to them. These kids had NEVER seen this letter before and are just learning english. The lesson seemed as if it was intended for an english speaker who had some preschool under their belt.

I am feeling a bit better about it today as I DID tell her that she needs to reteach that lesson w/ them. I just hate to have her come back to a room that is now behind.

It makes me wonder too - we barely had time for a bathroom break (if the lesson had gone the right way) there was no snack time, no no recess just solid work time. Why has kindy changed so much since I was in school? Is it b/c they have that language challenge? Hmmmm.

viktoriag

Old 10-15-2009, 09:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Aww...I wonder too what the lesson was on 'H' that they couldn't follow?

At least you showed them the video! Maybe it is their language barrier. H is a strange letter. And K usually goes over and over and over and over every letter anyway. I'm sure you didn't do any permanent damage!

As for the rush, was it full or half day?I find that K is more rushed now than ever before because of all that they have to cover - so much more is expected of them in first grade now than before. But our district just went to full day and that has allowed a lot more time for them to process concepts and they still get lots of breaks during the day.
viktoriag is offline   Reply With Quote

qudiva

Old 10-21-2009, 01:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I've always thought Kindergarten was the most challenging day. After a while you just get the hang of how to get a lesson through to the kids - or how to get them to do something when they are tired or hungry - or how to get them all to get their hands washed in less than 10 minutes

I know the kindergarten teachers (actually all the teachers) I work for - just want you to follow their plan to the best of your ability and to make a note of what you got done. If a lesson doesn't go well - make a note about that. If a child or children are struggling with something make a note.

I'm sure that the teacher thought you did fine - that she has lessons that go that way and she was just happy that the day went well and the room is back in order.

qudiva is offline   Reply With Quote