Gifted Education

Spelling

>

Scewl Teech

Scewl Teech

Spelling
Old 11-02-2009, 08:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi. The fifth grade regular ed teacher approached me for a "challenging spelling resource." I don't do spelling in gifted, so I am at a loss. Does anyone have any suggestions for gifted spellers?

--Thanks!

yesteach

English from the roots up
Old 11-02-2009, 03:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

is a year long unit on Greek and Latin roots, I incorporate both vocabulary and spelling aspects - by learning the roots, it will help you spell difficult words.
yesteach is offline   Reply With Quote

MizBee

Big Words for Little Kids
Old 11-03-2009, 07:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I found this resource online when searching for an answer to a similar question. I haven't used it, but I have recommended it to teachers as a starting point for challenge words. I like the way it uses roots and teaches vocabulary. I wouldn't use it as it is... it also focuses on handwriting. I would instead have a tic-tac-toe board of choices of activities to show understanding of the words as well as practice with spelling.

http://www.readinglesson.com/pdffiles/bwdemo.pdf
MizBee is offline   Reply With Quote
stepka

stepka

Old 11-29-2009, 08:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Hi, I found this by accident while googling something else, but how about googling "National Spelling Bee" materials? I used those while helping my lazy little daughter study for the bee, but she didn't make it b/c she didn't try hard enough. There was a lot of stuff about greek and latin roots of words, and spelling lists of weird foreign words, which would probably appeal to the kids. The 5th graders are about the right age to start working towards the bee, if they should take an interest. I think Scripps-Howard sponsors the bee, and Merriam-Webster carries the study materials, which are all free on the net.

lovemy2girls

thanks!
Old 07-20-2010, 03:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

THanks so much for this site!! Love it! I am going to use it with my gifted students and then add in any that need a challenge....

lovemy2girls is offline   Reply With Quote