Help

ESL/LEP

Working with the newcomers

>

Carolyn

Working with the newcomers
Old 02-22-2010, 12:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Where do you start with a child who has arrived just now (past mid-year!) and can't speak any English? This child is in first grade. Do you start with letters and sounds? Just curious as to how the rest of you deal with the child who is starting from scratch so late in the year. I got to thinking about it, and I realized that we only have 3 months of school left!

Carolyn is offline   Reply With Quote

read&see

Old 02-22-2010, 01:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have newcomers learn basic vocabulary like colors, numbers, shapes, school vocab. topics like that. The child could learn the names of the letters of the alphabet also but not sounds yet.
read&see is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Old 02-22-2010, 03:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Do NOT start with phonics!
Teach survival English...That is,
colors, numbers, months, days, 'vital questions' (i.e. May I use the bathroom, Where is the office, I do not feel well, I do not understand), telephone number and address, etc.
A great resource to reference might be ACCESS Newcomers, a seafoam green book publihed by Great Source publishing IS made for older learners BUT it has a little unit to a ton of the basic things kids need to know.
Let him/her settle in. The newcomers goes through a silent period, which can last up to an entire school year, so do not put too much pressure on and be flexible but firm.
MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote

Carolyn

Old 02-23-2010, 01:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks, ladies. I got to meet him today. He is from Guatemala. He is so eager to learn! He brought me a book about families and wanted to read it with me. As I read, we pointed to pictures. There were pictures of families on every page. He was able to answer: Who is that? He answered (in English) "family." Cool, huh?
Carolyn is offline   Reply With Quote