Help

Early Childhood Education (Pre-K)

Journals

>

kiwilemon

Journals
Old 07-27-2011, 03:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

In the past I have just bought cheap notebooks for journal time with my class.

I am wondering if anyone else does journals and if you do, what do you use for journals?

kiwilemon is offline   Reply With Quote

learntogether

Old 07-27-2011, 04:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

So far I have given them blank sheets and later hole punched them and added them to bradded folders. It is labor intensive for me, but I'm not sure they would grasp turning one page and not just write all over the place. I have been thinking about using actual composition books and some how paperclipping the pages that they have already written on or something. I have avoided this so far because composition books always have lines. I look forward to hearing what others do.
learntogether is offline   Reply With Quote

kiwilemon

Old 07-27-2011, 05:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I also hate having the lines, that is why I asked.. The kids do not seem to mind though, and it is nice to have the lines when they start learning to write letter and words...

How do you structure your journal time??
kiwilemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Love4PreK

Old 07-27-2011, 07:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

At this age, most of the kids are just learning the structure of the letter and don't need the lines yet. I allow my students to write in their journal (spiral bound, single subject) just as they would a blank piece of paper. It is more important, to me, that they learn the basic structure of writing the letters. None of the kids seemed to have an issue with ignore the lines - to them it is just paper.

I previously had bought the note books,but this year I added it to school supply list. I like the idea of paper clipping. I normally put on the page they need, if they need help - but that would save time on me flipping though too!

I also put dates on my pages each time we journal so parents can see the progress throughout the year.
Love4PreK is offline   Reply With Quote
6194la

6194la

journals
Old 07-27-2011, 07:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Yes, I use journal in my kdg. class between 3 and 4 times a week. My journal topics are related to our unit of study, holidays or important events that are happening in our town. My class loves to write and the parents really enjoy reading them at the end of the year. It is also a great way to see a child's growth in the skills that you have taught throughout the year.

musickerns

Journals
Old 07-29-2011, 02:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I make my journals at the beginning of the year using the 10 cent pocket folders with fasteners. I make my own pages with a large blank area at the top and three preschool style lines at the bottom. We make 40+ pages on the copier. We do not use the lines until a few months into school. We just express ourselves using pictures. Then we add letters and eventually words. I teach them to only turn one page at a time (of course we double check them for a while). I also put the date on the pages for the parents and the journals are sent home at the end of the year. It is great to see their progress from the beginning to end
musickerns is offline   Reply With Quote

Gimet

Old 07-29-2011, 10:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I use the unlined composition books for journals. I think it's really important to note that it's okay for the children to draw the same picture day after day and that this shows progress over time.
Gimet is offline   Reply With Quote

learntogether

Gimet
Old 07-30-2011, 05:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Where do you find unlined composition books?
learntogether is offline   Reply With Quote

ncprek4

pocket folders with fasteners
Old 07-31-2011, 11:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Last summer I found a site that described a writer's workshop. When I find the site I will post it. I follow the guidelines described on this site. I punch notebook holes in about 30 blank composition pages and put them in the folders. Each folder has an alphabet frieze (a chart with the letters and a picture to go with each. The owner of the site also puts a chart with the correct way to form each letter. I do not.)
I fold each book back to the next clean page. I teach the children that we only write on "One Page A Day". We repeat that several times so that it becomes a choral phrase throughout the class.
I have a problem with squeezing in time for journal writing as I am in a two and a half hour program. I do the best I can, but I always strive to get it in more often.
When the children have completed their pages one of the adults in the room write their "words". We work toward the children labeling their own pages and telling their own stories with beginning letters, etc.
I used to give each child a single blank sheet and store them in a pocket chart when they were completed - punch holes in them - organize each child's pages by date - put them into a three ring binder for each child. It is so much easier to do it this new way.
ncprek4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Originalkat

Lakeshore Blank Journals
Old 08-01-2011, 05:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

This year I bought Lakeshore's Blank Journals. I had each parent send $3.00 to cover the cost. (They were $2.79 each)

Originalkat is offline   Reply With Quote

helen4102010

PreK Journals
Old 08-03-2011, 05:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I use a different journal for each project we are working on. Every project has five pages at the beginning. If our project lasts longer than five days I add more. I just print them out and staple them together. We have journal time every day and the content depends on what we are talking about.
For example, when we did our project on transportation, Page 1 was blank at the top with a handwritten sentence at the bottom "My family has a van, car, truck." (they circle which one and draw it). Page 2 'Draw something that flies' is written at the bottom. After the children draw their pic my para or myself write their description of the pic at the bottom. Page 3 says "Draw something that has wheels". Children dictate what they have drawn. Page 4 says "What kind of transportation would you have in outer space?" (included because our chidlren were super excited about space, discussions went on a crazy tangent the day before so I inserted this special for them). Page 5 was a blank page they could draw their family going somewhere in any kind of transportation.
helen4102010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Originalkat

Old 08-17-2011, 12:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Great idea Helen! I really like that. I only do Journals once per week (on Fridays) and we do a journal entry on the theme of the week. I like your daily journal idea. Great for parents to see what they have been learning as well.
Originalkat is offline   Reply With Quote