3 year old not wanting to do activity with class... - ProTeacher Community




Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help


      Early Childhood Education (Pre-K)

3 year old not wanting to do activity with class...

>

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Neenlo10 Neenlo10 is offline
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 4
New Member

Neenlo10
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 4
New Member
3 year old not wanting to do activity with class...
Old 08-30-2011, 09:28 AM
 
Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi there! I am a new Prek3 teacher and I planned a few activities for All About Me. I had the children first draw a picture of themselves on the first day of school and then their family. 60% of them were happy to do it and scribbled their way beautifully through the activity and the other 40% said "I don't want to do this" or "I can't do this". Was this too complex for my 3 year olds? I showed them my examples beforehand also. I got kind of bummed when I so many didn't want to do it. Also, what's the best way to respond to something like that?

My husband says I am thinking too much into things being that it's my first year teaching prek, but I want to ensure my kids are doing activities that are suitable for their age and tons of fun for them..

Just looking for some advice. Thanks in advance for the help!


Neenlo10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Amy L's Avatar
Amy L Amy L is offline
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,404
Senior Member

Amy L
 
Amy L's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,404
Senior Member
pre-k drawing activity
Old 08-30-2011, 01:30 PM
 
Clip to ScrapBook #2

Here's some developmental stuff:
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/002013.htm

Remember, school just started. Kids are nervous, follow each other's leads, want to see how much control they can have in the classroom. Most should be able to do it, especially the picture of themselves, but may be unsure of how to get started. I remember talking with my kids before drawing, such as ... what do we have on our faces?, what's below our head, etc. They may also be afraid of doing it wrong. Keep trying
Amy L is offline   Reply With Quote
tracykaliski tracykaliski is offline
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 398
Full Member

tracykaliski
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 398
Full Member

Old 08-30-2011, 02:21 PM
 
Clip to ScrapBook #3

I know my 3 yr olds wouldn't be able to draw a picture of themselves. I would concentrate on things like playdough, etc., that would help develop hand strength and finger control before asking them to hold a tool for drawing, etc. But, that's just me.
tracykaliski is offline   Reply With Quote
teacher24's Avatar
teacher24 teacher24 is offline
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,422
Blog Entries: 8
Senior Member

teacher24
 
teacher24's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,422
Senior Member

Old 08-30-2011, 04:36 PM
 
Clip to ScrapBook #4

Just start out with a pic of themselves. I model a circle first, then have students trace that in the air...I also talk about the features on our faces. Good luck...IMO, three is not to young to focus on this...it's never too early to prepare kids for writing
teacher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
learntogether's Avatar
learntogether learntogether is offline
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 834
Senior Member

learntogether
 
learntogether's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 834
Senior Member

Old 08-30-2011, 06:58 PM
 
Clip to ScrapBook #5

Google eyes. Everything goes better with google eyes and a little glue.


learntogether is offline   Reply With Quote
casey56 casey56 is offline
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 97
Full Member

casey56
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 97
Full Member

Old 09-01-2011, 03:03 AM
 
Clip to ScrapBook #6

I do these often through out the year, about 6 a year. I teach 3 to 5. Many in the beginning are not able to. I let them put on the paper what they think it means, even if it is just a scribble. This is after showing them a mirror, and talking about what they see. I document that they may be unsure what the process means. This of course changes throughout the year. It is wonderful to see the process evolve! If they just don't want to do it, I write not interested at this time. This too changes! Keep trying!
casey56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Join the conversation! Post as a guest or become a member today. New members welcome!

Reply

 

>
Early Childhood Education (Pre-K)
Thread Tools




Sign Up Now

Sign Up FREE | ProTeacher Help | BusyBoard

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:39 AM.

Copyright © 2017 ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net