Help

Gifted Education

Spelling Ideas G/T?

>

creative12

Spelling Ideas G/T?
Old 08-06-2012, 06:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach a classroom f 20 G/T 4th and fifth graders. I use the Greek and Latin Word oots books for spelling. This is my 6th year teaching this type of class and I am always wanting to hear about how other may teach spelling. I give them the words listed from the book and then I add my own theme words to the list for a total of 15 words. The kids would have to match the definition of the word root. However; a parent wants them to write the definitions! Any ideas on how you teach spelling would be such an insight for me!!!! Thanks!

Last edited by creative12; 08-06-2012 at 06:35 PM.. Reason: Forgot to add it is G/T class in the title
creative12 is offline   Reply With Quote

cdecoux

Words Their Way
Old 10-03-2012, 04:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am using Words Their Way, derivational relationships book. I have them do a sort each week. Their sentences have to not just they know the meaning, but I have to be able to figure out the meaning from the context.
So when we had submerge I didn't take
The submarine submerged in the water.
I took the submarine submerged below the water and sank to the bottom.

I bought the separate book because it comes with the sorts. But you need the original book for many of the activities.

Not sure if that helps.
cdecoux is offline   Reply With Quote

crockpotqueen

Try this book
Old 09-01-2013, 10:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Ceasar's English.

I rotated lessons from this book (for students that topped out of word study) with individualized lists (words the kids actually spell wrong plus content area words)

I used Word Journeys by Kathy Ganske to determine spelling level. I used word study if they were determined to still need work in word study...if they topped out, I went to Ceasar's English.
crockpotqueen is offline   Reply With Quote