Gifted Education

Summer Institute for the Gifted--HALF-WAY

>

josephineg

Summer Institute for the Gifted--HALF-WAY
Old 07-25-2007, 11:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm at the half-way mark as of today. Here is my brief interim report:

ROBOT RENDEZVOUS: The tubs of extra Robotix inventory arrived today, and the students got a great demo of how to use the materials. They already know some basic electronics, the history of robotics, Asimov's Revised Three Laws of Robotics, and some applications of robotics to everyday life. The next few days will be spent alternating between listening to speakers and hearing demos, and free-building robots in teams to participate in competitions. They will also build an individual robot. All in all, things are going well.

ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE: These students are great because they are willing to share, debate, and defend their opinions about the future of AI. They have had a mix of reading, experiential activities, and a bit of lecture. Lots of paired shares. They will hear a few speakers, go to the library to research their positions, and debate informally several topics of their own choosing between now and the end of the course. We are using a great book entitled "Are we spiritual machines?" which crystalizes the current philosophical discussion regarding "strong" and "weak" AI. I have some very passionate and bright students.

Your comments, questions, and suggestions are most welcome.

All the best.

josephineg is offline   Reply With Quote

yesteach

How did it turn out?
Old 10-04-2007, 05:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Josephine,

Just wondering how this turned out at the end of summer? Will you be doing it again? A friend and I are considering starting something like this on a smaller scale for students in our district.

:-)
yesteach is offline   Reply With Quote