Help

Gifted Education

Testing

>

aliryan

Testing
Old 04-03-2014, 02:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Are there any checklists or tests I can download online to assess whether or not a child is gifted? I have a student that I feel is a high achiever but no necessarily gifted. But his parents refuse to let him be tested by the school counsellor or anyone else but me as the classroom teacher. But they expect me to create an individual plan to cater for his giftedness. I am unsure as to where to look. BTW school and educational policies where I am allow this parental decision.

Sorry I'm typing on my phone and it's hard to read. I hope I make sense.

Thanks

aliryan is offline   Reply With Quote

Eliza

Old 04-03-2014, 06:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I suspect you will not find a checklist that will tell you whether or not a child is gifted, as that generally requires more specific and formal testing. Can you tell parents that you are differentiating for the students in your class? If you already are, then you shouldn't need to do anything additional for this student. If you aren't (and believe me I understand how hard this is), then can you find a few easy things to add into your classroom for all students that may benefit this child as well - anchor activities are a great start. If you want/need some help, let me know. I'm happy to help you with a few easy things (easy being relative) that might appease them.

I am the gifted resource teacher at my school. When I ask teachers to refer students for testing, I send along this list to help them identify the students who are normally overlooked in the classroom (the students who don't "look" gifted).
Eliza is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs.Lilbit

Old 04-03-2014, 04:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Intellectual giftedness cannot be determined without an IQ test, and only a licensed psychologist or psychometrist (not a teacher) can administer one. In my state, a child CANNOT have an IG IEP without an IQ test administered by either the school psychologist or a district approved private psychologist.

I agree with Eliza that you need to show the parents how you differentiate instruction to meet the various needs in your classroom. If the parents are not satisfied with that, you need to seek the advice and support of your principal.
Mrs.Lilbit is offline   Reply With Quote

fromkto3

Checklist
Old 04-27-2014, 10:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have attached a "Gifted Indicators Checklist" that was given to me in one of my gifted endorsement courses. It is only meant to be a screening tool. The student will still need to be given an IQ test.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf check_FORM (1).pdf (367.4 KB, 60 views)
fromkto3 is offline   Reply With Quote