Help

Gifted Education

Texas GT test "OVER"

>

beclynn

Texas GT test "OVER"
Old 08-06-2007, 03:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Wow! Well, everyone in Texas, it was not easy. A few wanted me to let you know how it went. It was covered with people I had never heard of in my 10 years of teaching. Another lady was also taking it, she said this was her 2nd time and this test was much harder than the first. She had also had the 30 hrs of inservice. She said it did not help at all. By the faith of God is the only way I passed. I had to guess way too much!!!!!

beclynn is offline   Reply With Quote

AMac

glad its over!!
Old 08-06-2007, 11:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I remember that you said that you had studied the Texas State Plan and the study guide by SBEC. Besides these two things what did you study? The people on the test that you had never heard of, where they people that had written some sort of GT theory? This makes me nervous to go take the test.
AMac is offline   Reply With Quote

yesteach

SBEC study guide
Old 08-06-2007, 01:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

was all I used and passed the first time. I will say that reading the state plan helps also, if you don't know the legalities. The thirty hours, it depends on where you go and who does the training whether or not it helps. I've been teaching GT and attending trainings for the last 12 years. A few years ago our district decided to contract with the ESC to provide the 30 hours with anyone in the district who wanted to get them. For two years now I've attended the "refresher" for my 6 hour update, and it was totally useless, IMHO.

I'm curious as to who the people were? Trying to go through my head and think who might be on a GT test (and I don't remember anything that was even on mine... ). I would think Gardner, Renzulli, deBono, Taylor, possibly.... Van-Tassel Baska, Gagne, Tomlinson.
yesteach is offline   Reply With Quote

mathtch

my experience
Old 08-06-2007, 02:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

A lot of parallel curriculum, flow theory (Csikszentmihalyi), Tomlinson, some where they gave you an example and you have to say whose theory it would be, enrichment clusters, acceleration. It is all a blur to me now. I went through the test the first time and answered those that I knew (or thought I knew). That was about half the test. Then I went through the other half of the test and did the best I could. I purchased two study guides (not terribly helpful): a study guide through TExES Study Sessions and one from Ed Publishing: Pass the TExES. I found an online glossary which mentioned some theorists. That was the only way I was familiar with some of the names on the test. Studying the Texas State Plan was a must (those are can't miss questions if you know what the plan says). All I can say is I did the best I could and like beclynn said "by the faith of God is the only way I passed."
mathtch is offline   Reply With Quote

beclynn

Maybe teaching GT helped
Old 08-06-2007, 06:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have never taught GT so maybe that hurt me. The other lady told me the first test she took was much easier, and would have passed it if she had known more GT history and beginnings in TX. There wasn't as many theories and theorist on the first test. Mathtch, that all sounds familiar. As well as the people yesteach mentioned, there were others also. Renzulli was the only one I knew and recognized. It was tough to me. If, and thats a BIGGGGG if, I pass I will be surprised. I'm not worried about it, I have three years to get certified. I may need to take some classes anyway. It can only help!

yesteach

Certification required
Old 08-06-2007, 09:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Our district doesn't require the certification.. just the 30 hours, since that's what the state requires.

Also, with or without the certification, you are required to do the initial thirty hours and six hour updates, which to me is totally ridiculous.

beclynn

Getting Cert. For AR through Tx
Old 08-07-2007, 02:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have moved to AR and they do require it on certification. So, I am testing out in Tx and AR will accept it.

mathtch

Scores are in...
Old 08-26-2007, 08:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

and I am excited to say that I passed it! Ok, maybe not with flying colors but a pass is a pass. Yeah!!!

yesteach

wooohoooo
Old 08-29-2007, 08:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

congratulations!!

mathtch

Old 09-03-2007, 01:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Thanks Yesteach!